Live Your Best Life With Rewards for Good. Start Earning Reward Points Now. Get Started Now!

Recognized Social Butterfly

LOSS: : Losing Friends Support During Crisis

Message 11 of 12

Dear Kay,
The people you describe do NOT sound like friends to me. Kiss your fair weather friends goodbye.     I think you will be better off without them.

mb157 wrote:

Hi, My name is Kay and I was wondering if any other caregivers were experience the loss of close friends or family during a health crisis?  This past spring, my husband went into heart and kidney failure suddenly.  He was sent to a hospital that has dialysis as he was expected to be placed on it immediately.  However, for 2 weeks, he was treated and during this time improved.  He did not have to have dialysis after all!  But, after his discharge, he came down with MRSA!  He was readmitted to the hospital in critical condition and for the next 43 days we were in the fight for his life.  During this awful time, two of our closest couple friends, (lifetime friends) completely abandoned us for some unknown reason.  They did not answer calls, and they never came to visit.  That was May, 2017 and now, December 2017, we are home, and he is doing much better, after 30 more days in Rehab, but still we have not heard a word from one couple, and the other has apologized for their "lack" of contact and paid a home visit.  We (especially ME) are hurt, and confused.  We also experience this from some family members.  Does anyone know what is going on?  How do we move on with these people, as the anger and hurt is still with us?  

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Losing Friends Support During Crisis

Message 12 of 12

Hi, My name is Kay and I was wondering if any other caregivers were experience the loss of close friends or family during a health crisis?  This past spring, my husband went into heart and kidney failure suddenly.  He was sent to a hospital that has dialysis as he was expected to be placed on it immediately.  However, for 2 weeks, he was treated and during this time improved.  He did not have to have dialysis after all!  But, after his discharge, he came down with MRSA!  He was readmitted to the hospital in critical condition and for the next 43 days we were in the fight for his life.  During this awful time, two of our closest couple friends, (lifetime friends) completely abandoned us for some unknown reason.  They did not answer calls, and they never came to visit.  That was May, 2017 and now, December 2017, we are home, and he is doing much better, after 30 more days in Rehab, but still we have not heard a word from one couple, and the other has apologized for their "lack" of contact and paid a home visit.  We (especially ME) are hurt, and confused.  We also experience this from some family members.  Does anyone know what is going on?  How do we move on with these people, as the anger and hurt is still with us?  

Report Inappropriate Content
Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors