AARP Opposes Attempts to Remove the ACA's Law Age Rating Limits and Pre-Existing Conditions Protections. Learn More!

Jen
Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: Introducing myself and info on being a paid family caregiver

Message 1 of 9

@Rubeandrubye wrote:

I am a retired educator who is taking care of my mom. I am in good health and my daughters are grown and I thought I could work full time for a hour wage to pay credit bills however I am working PT and taking care of my mom. It would help me if I could get paid as a family caregiver since I am doing all the work such as cooking, cleaning, driving , shopping, counselling, washing and many more activities to keep her alive and healthy. Please advise

Hi @Rubeandrubye Here is the link we use on this subject:  www.aarp.org/gettingpaidforcaregiving

Please let me know if you find this helpful. I apologize if there were errors with previous links in this post. We will be sure to look into it. 

Please write back. 

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 9

@Rubeandrubye wrote:

Thank you ! I am in the state of Ohio. They have expanded Medicaid. I will give the community updates on this issue

If your mother is a senior - it has nothing to do with "expanded". Medicaid.

LOW INCOME Seniors have been a covered population in Medicaid forever.

The low income number as well as some available assets is define by the state.

So your criteria to review is (1) does she meet the eligibility of Medicaid for the low income elderly and (2) does the state have a program to pay a caregiver for daily life caregiving in the home.

Here is a good link that describes the different programs and what OHIO calls their programs 

Paying for Senior Care.com - Medicaid and Home Care - State by State Benefits and Eligibility

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 9

Thank you ! I am in the state of Ohio. They have expanded Medicaid. I will give the community updates on this issue

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 9

@vm2571580 wrote:

The URL should end in ".html"  For some reason extra characters are being appended and I can't seem to fix that. 

https://www.aarp.org/caregiving/financial-legal/info-2017/you-can-get-paid-as-a-family-caregiver.htm...

Then this should help the OP to open the page -

https://www.aarp.org/caregiving/financial-legal/info-2017/you-can-get-paid-as-a-family-caregiver.htm...

There was a % and then some numbers right after the "l" in the .html - 

Community Manager

Message 5 of 9

The URL should end in ".html"  For some reason extra characters are being appended and I can't seem to fix that. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 9

@Rubeandrubye wrote:

I am a retired educator who is taking care of my mom. I am in good health and my daughters are grown and I thought I could work full time for a hour wage to pay credit bills however I am working PT and taking care of my mom. It would help me if I could get paid as a family caregiver since I am doing all the work such as cooking, cleaning, driving , shopping, counselling, washing and many more activities to keep her alive and healthy. Please advise

Some states have a pay type plan for those who are on low income and eligible for Mediaid.  So check with you state office on aging to see if it exist and if your Mom might qualify.

if your Mom is not low income as determined by the state where she resides, she can still pay you for doing these things for her.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 9

@vm2571580 wrote:

@Rubeandrubye This article may help answer some of your questions: https://www.aarp.org/caregiving/financial-legal/info-2017/you-can-get-paid-as-a-family-caregiver.htm...

Check the link - telling me page cannot be found

Highlighted
Community Manager

Message 8 of 9
Info Seeker

Introducing myself and info on being a paid family caregiver

Message 9 of 9