With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

I have to do something...but what? I need some advice about my Korean War Vet Dad

Message 1 of 1
My Dad is diagnosed with PTSD.  So far he's lived with my step-Mom and I thought everything was alright.  I live about 2,000 miles away.  But yesterday, he says, he mistakenly took some of my step-Mom's meds and became extremely intoxicated.  Then he drove his car 30 miles into the next town.  And now I discover this isn't the first time he's done this.  I now know he's been prescribed methadone for pain and continues to drive his car (although I'm willing to bet that methadne is one of the controlled substances people go to prison for when they drive while taking).  What he doesn't know is, in my investigation I've discovered he's also driven to the next county over and purchased vicodin on the black market.  So my Dad is a drug addict.  And he's driving the roads under the influence of a deadly mixture of drugs.  And now I'm aware of it and I must do something.

Since he has a PTSD claim and he receives Veteran's benefits he's worried about the VA discovering his drug abuse and taking away his benefits.  I spoke with him and I'm worried about his life, and the lives of others he could take with him in an accident.

Part of me wants to write out a letter to the VA and to the DMV and hold them, kinda like a bomb, and tell him, "check yourself into a rehab and have them call me within 2 hours or these letters are going in the mail"

But before I do anything I thought I'd ask my peers here what you think.  I can't just NOT do anything.  That would put all of their blood on my hands and I won't have that.  I know that my Dad's gonna hate me if I force him into something like that but I just don't know what else to do.

Please, AARP family, give me some ideas/
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies