Caring for a loved one? Find a part-time job that fits your schedule. Search the AARP Job Board.

Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How to leave a comment about an article in the magazine

Message 1 of 12

That advice they keep giving about waiting until 70 to take Social Security is WRONG.

Your benefits will go up by 8% a year, but this is not the same as investing a nest egg at 8%, because you have no principal.

Instead, you will be PAYING for those increases through benefits not received during the wait. It can take up to twenty years at the higher benefit to make up for all those lost benefits you so strategically rejected for 4-8 years.

In other words, if you don't wait, you will have accumulated quite a bundle by the time you are seventy, but if you do wait, you will have nothing to show for it at 70 other than the fact that your monthly benefits will be higher. That monthly increase, set aside, will not add up to what you turned down until you are somewhere near 90.

So unless you're sure you'll hit ninety and see a net gain, take benefits as early as you are eligible, all other things being equal (e.g. don't retire early just to take early SS).When you finally hit 90, your are unlikely to think, "**bleep**, I wish I'd waited."

Even if you don't need Social Security, take it early and invest your monthly payments. Later you can use THAT nest egg to pay yourself whatever extra you would have made by waiting until 70. If you've invested according to conventional wisdom, you may be well past 100 before you'll say, "**bleep**, I wish I'd waited."

I took it early, and it has quite obviously paid off. I keep telling Jane this and I sent her the figures, but she refuses to answer other than an answer saying she won't answer. I don't understand these people.

As you decide when to take Social Security, do the math. It is simple math. Add up the total benefits you would receive between now and 70 if you don't wait. Divide that total by the monthly benefit increase you'd get if you do wait. That's how many months it will take you to break even. Divide by twelve, add to 70, and that's how old you will be. Is it worth the wait?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

@SandiB862664 wrote:

A toast to better retirement

article in June July 2018

why did you not reference the other 7. states that have small business 401 k plans?

Sandi,

Is this an online article, ATM or bulletin. I'd be happy to help you if you could provide the reference. 
Thank you!

Jen

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

why did you not reference the other 7. states that have small business 401 k plans?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

Kudos
Views
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

Joanne,

Confirmed it is bulletin@aarp.org.

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

I commented on a similar story on FB and the response Ir eceived was to send an email to the general mailbox - bulletin@aarp.org

Seems like AARP might need to update their process to provide an easier way to provide feedback.

Kudos
Views
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

This article? http://www.aarp.org/politics-society/government-elections/where-they-stand-election-2016/

I'll see if I can find an email for you. 

Jen

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

The recent cover story in the AARP Bulletin (not the magazine.)  There is no information in the Bulletin itself (hardcopy), no information in the Bulletin online (no Comment box to click).  No information on the AARP website to send a note to the Editor in Chief Robert Love.  No information in the Contact link to send feedback on content - only for additional information for membership, etc.

I think I was pretty thorough in searching for somewhere to make a comment but couldn't find anything.

Joanne

Kudos
Views
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

Which article is it? I might be able to help. 

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

No option to comment in the article.  No option to send letter to the editor.  Does not appear that AARP Bulletin is interested in hearing from it's subscribers.

Kudos
Views