Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How do you get someone into assisted living that can is low-income and can't get Medicaid?

How do you get someone into assisted living that can is low-income and can't get Medicaid?

My boyfriend's mother has been living with us for over a year. The care she needs is beyond what we can do. It's become overwhelming and we are under constant stress. She has heart disease, bone disease, diabetes, and can't see or hear well. She is also demanding and wants control of our home.

We've been trying to place her in assisted living but her only income is social security and it is nowhere near enough to pay for it. We don't have the money to pay for it either and no one in the family is willing to do anything.

She has no savings and she can't get Medicaid because she had property in her name back in 2018. It was given to her by family but she signed it over to her brother because he was going to sue her to get it. But because of that, she can't Medicaid until 2024, and the assisted living facility we thought that was going to take her ended up telling my boyfriend she is a risk because they will lose money.

Is there some way to get someone into assisted living that is low-income and can't get Medicaid?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@LilyM445264  wrote

She has no savings and she can't get Medicaid because she had property in her name back in 2018. It was given to her by family but she signed it over to her brother because he was going to sue her to get it. But because of that, she can't Medicaid until 2024, and the assisted living facility we thought that was going to take her ended up telling my boyfriend she is a risk because they will lose money.

===================================

If the boyfriend's mother gave away the property which had value - there is a 5-year waiting period for Medicaid eligibility.  I am sure that you understand the reason - you don't give away something that you own which has value and then want the government to dish out charitable care - which Medicaid is charitable care.  So there is that 5-year waiting span.

She can't even do a "spend down" to be eligible for some Medicaid help because she gave away her asset and you said she had no savings even to spend down.

Whatever she can get in the interim (before 2024), she will have to pay for it - perhaps with some help from others, if there are others.

Medicaid does not pay for Assisted Living of the normal type - they may cover some home care under the Home and Community Based Services Program (HCBS) or they may cover living in a personal care home.    But nothing for those 5-years after the giveaway of this asset with value.

Perhaps,  investigate Personal Care Homes to see if these type of residence may meet her needs. Your state may have a list of Personal Care Homes  (PCH) which they license and inspect.  Find out how much the direct pay would be for a PCH.  They are all prices - but just make sure they are licensed and inspected by the state.  There is sometimes unlicensed ones which are questionable.  In fact, many states have any complaints and outcome noted in their file that you can see online.  The state's inspections may also be available for you to see too.  Theses PCH would be cheaper than AS; they are smaller, within communities.  But they have to be able to meet her needs cause they are not nursing homes nor are they assisted living.  They are a group (usually less that 6 in a home) of elderly or disabled that live together with assistance of varing degrees by the owner or their aides. - some do little; others may do a lot.

But it will be self-pay for her until 5- years after the giveaway of that property asset.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Lily, thank you for this post. This is exactly what I fear will happen with me and I don't want my children to experience what you're having to deal with.

I so wish I had suggestions but do not... but please know we do support you and if we find any resources will let you know.

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP