Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How Important is Laughter in Your Caregiving Journey?

Community Concierge

How Important is Laughter in Your Caregiving Journey?

19984195_10155603243063960_2732134483028961002_o.jpg

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge

I totally agree!  Laughter is one of the best medicines ever, our bodies produce natural endorphins, and when we laugh we release them!!  My daughter and I, when taking care of my parents, (her grandparents) we kept a small journal of some of the funny things my mom & dad would say, then later we would read them to each other while we talked about how they were doing and how each of us was holding up. The laughter from those journals, made us laugh then and are still funny and wonderful happy memories we will continue to share. 

Community Concierge

@je33888935 wrote:

I totally agree!  Laughter is one of the best medicines ever, our bodies produce natural endorphins, and when we laugh we release them!!  My daughter and I, when taking care of my parents, (her grandparents) we kept a small journal of some of the funny things my mom & dad would say, then later we would read them to each other while we talked about how they were doing and how each of us was holding up. The laughter from those journals, made us laugh then and are still funny and wonderful happy memories we will continue to share. 

That is such a great idea to journal the laughter. Thank you for sharing your story. Are you still caring for your parents?

Jen

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Laughter is very important. I recently spoke to a granddaughter who reflected on her time with her grandmother who suffered from dementia. she remember spending time with her grandmother showing her how to perform tasks. She said that she and her sisters tried to make her grandmother laugh. She smiled when she told me that they were usually very successful. Laughter is the best medicine.
Thank you for your insight
Dr. Marcy
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP