Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Hospice care confusion - Overwhelmed and confused

Contributor

Hospice care confusion - Overwhelmed and confused

We were advised that my mother needed her legs amputated, but that she probably wouldn't survive due to newly discovered heart conditions. We were advised the best way forward to still have a few days to 2-3 weeks with her was hospice care

I am her sole caregiver.  She is currently completely bed-ridden and unable to care for herself, has a catheter, and has declining mental lucidity.

Her health declined in a matter of days. I am still reeling mentally about losing her and am panicked, overwhelmed, and exhausted.

The hospice company wants to move her to home care, where a nurse would give her meds once a day and I as her sole caregiver would be responsible for all other medical and personal care.

Does Medicare offer her coverage in a skilled nursing facility where she would get the support she needs in her short last days?  The hospice company is saying I would have to pay out of pocket for extra nursing or care facility support.

Or can we revoke the hospice care and keep her in the hospital, so she gets the care she needs?

Any support or guidance is desperately needed.

Kudos
Views
Replies
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Here is some Medicare.gov info for you on Hospice Care - what's covered and where and how it works.

Medicare.gov Hospice Care Coverage

Medicare.gov Medicare Hospice Coverage

If you feel incapable of handling her needs that Hospice staff doesn't cover in her (your) home then there are Hospice inpatient facilities where pallative care is given; especially if it is short term.

If you accept hospice I doubt that hospital care will be an option - it isn't the right place for Hospice care.  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos

If you chose Hospice then Medicare should cover all the expenses.  Hospice is simply comfort care till the end of life.  I just went thru this process with my mother within the last 10 days.  I feel for you as it's a tough decision but Hospice is very good in keeping comfort care as the priority.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

If you can, keep her in hospital. I am suggesting this as someone who went with both options with my parents. If you are her sole caregiver at home, it could easily become too much for you emotionally.

I’m hoping her condition makes nursing home/hospice care unsuitable, as it sounds with her circulation and clotting issues which requires close monitoring. Best wishes to you. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP