Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Hiring Mom's HHA as an Independent Contractor?

Contributor

Hiring Mom's HHA as an Independent Contractor?

Mom lives in Florida at home and has had a HHA from an agency for 3 years now. Mom has mobility and dementia issues and needs this help at home.

The agency has deteriorated - difficulty finding weekend coverage (and qualified people) as the aide wants time off one or two weekends per month. Also a recent issue with timely payment to her.

Our aide was apparently hired as an independent contractor. One option is to hire her directly as independent contractor.

So my question - is this a legal, safe option. I've looked at the IRS website.. The wording of contractor vs. employee is vague and confusing.

Any opinions on this subject?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@PaulM500063 wrote:

. . . . Our aide was apparently hired as an independent contractor. One option is to hire her directly as independent contractor.

So my question - is this a legal, safe option. I've looked at the IRS website.. The wording of contractor vs. employee is vague and confusing.

Any opinions on this subject?

You need to look at this IRS site - The classification for this type of work is actually "Household Employee".  It will further define the difference between the employment classification - who is an employee/ who is not an employee.

IRS.gov - Hiring Household Employees

By hiring outright under either classification - there is a lot to decide in addition to how taxes (by whom) are paid.  This is just a starting point.  There are risk factors for each and those too have to be considered by each party and implemented once the manner of hiring classification is decided.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP