Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Hearing impared phone

Has anyone purchased a landline phone that you can read message for who is calling? I have a 91 year old mom, who is deaf, very difficult to communicate with her. Any advice would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi I’m a certified case manager and happen to know your state should have an agency that can help you provide for your moms needs regarding communication. There is a whole lot of options available. Write to me at vadaniel87@gmail.com for any assistance you would like. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

My mother was deaf so I got her a print phone from her audiologist.  She never liked it that well because she had a hard time reading the script, scrolling and her, being her, she had some reservations about letting other be the intermediary in the conversation.  

Washington.edu - Do TTY, TDD, and TT mean the same thing?

If you decide to use one of these services, her local phone company might be able to recommend a model that works best - today there is the internet and WI-FI so that's another compatibility concern or maybe an option too depending on what she has available where she lives and is use to -  Hey, when I'm 91 - I will not learn anything new - time for what I want, like I want, right?!

In later years, my mother's eyesight failed but I hooked her up a fax machine and then sent large print messages and communications to her that way - then she just called me back on her big button phone and talked, and talked, and talked . . . . . . 

That has been many years ago - so my response is dated somewhat.  Good Luck - 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. It's so difficult to help her. I agree about the scrolling etc, she has never used internet in her life, so she has none at the moment. Of course, that is another issue, as she is in a Rehab Center right now and can't authorize any one of my sisters to make the change, never mind the cost on her low income. We will figure it out. Thanks again.
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP