Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Have you been to a memory cafe?

Memory cafes offer opportunities for people with dementia and their caregivers to socialize and support each other. Have you been to one? If so, what did you think?

Contributor

No. But I took care of my Uncle who had dementia. So I understand and know how important it is to have one.
Contributor

Never heard of it. What is it like?

AARP Expert

@joanne1957

I visited one in Indiana and I wrote a column about it for AARP's website - here's the link you can click and read! 

Memory Cafรฉs Offer Social Activities for Those Living With Dementia

I loved it - it's such a wonderful idea and so helpful to so many families. Wished there had been one I could take my Dad to when he was living with dementia (he passed on a little over a year ago now and lived with me for 6 yrs - I cared for him for more than a decade). There is a link in the column you can click on that will take you to a Memory Cafe directory so you can see if there is one in your area. There may be some that are not listed (although it's great huge directory of more than 700 memory cafes across the country!), so if you don't see one in your area, you can try reaching out to ask Alzheimer's Association, your area agency on aging, a dementia clinic in your area and anyone else who serves older adults or those living with dementia.

Take care,

Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert

Author, Juggling Life, Work and Caregiving and

Color Your Way Content When Caring for Loved Ones

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Never heard of it?????

AARP Expert

@jl95508478

Memory cafes are places where people who are living with dementia and their caregivers can come for some time in a social setting with other people who are in the same boat - so it doesn't matter so much if they ask the same question over and over, need some help eating etc.etc. because others are similar. There are over 700 in the US and they are held in restaurants, senior centers, museums and a wide variety of other locations. Most are usually for a couple of hours. It's a great for everyone to get some human interaction, some fun, usually some food etc. I visited one in Indiana at a museum and I just love the concept. I wrote about it for AARP.org - here is the link to my column if you'd like to learn more! 

There is a link in the column you can click on that will take you to a Memory Cafe Directory so you can see if there is one in your area. There may be some that are not listed, so if you don't see one in your area, you can try reaching out to ask the Alzheimer's Association, your area agency on aging, a dementia clinic in your area and anyone else who serves older adults or those living with dementia.

Take care,

AARP Expert

@VickiM68 Yes! I visited one in Indiana and I wrote a column about it for AARP's website - here's the link you can click and read! 

I loved it - it's such a wonderful idea and so helpful to so many families. Wished there had been one I could take my Dad to when he was living with dementia (he passed on a little over a year ago now and lived with me for 6 yrs - I cared for him for more than a decade). There is a link in the column you can click on that will take you to a Memory Cafe directory so you can see if there is one in your area. There may be some that are not listed (although it's great huge directory of more than 700 memory cafes across the country!), so if you don't see one in your area, you can try reaching out to ask Alzheimer's Association, your area agency on aging, a dementia clinic in your area and anyone else who serves older adults or those living with dementia.

Take care,

Color Your Way Content When Caring for Loved Ones

As a matter of fact, yes!  My husband (who suffered from Lewy Body Dementia and passed away in July) and I often frequented Amy's Place, a stand-alone Memory Cafe in Roswell, GA..  During that time I also served as a caregiver member of their Advisory Board.

In September I began working at Amy's Place, as Associate Director.  Rather than elaborate on our Memory Cafe meeting times, activites and outreach, you can go to amysplace.net. You can also find us on Facebook. 

Ret Siefferman
Associate Director, Amy's Place
14 Sloan Street Roswell, GA 30075
70-349-8349 | 470.219.4652 | ret@cth.me 
www.amysplace.net 

AARP Expert

@RetS347565 Thanks for sharing this info! 

0 Kudos

Hmm...? I don't remember.

Honored Social Butterfly

@rk86183697 wrote:

Hmm...? I don't remember.

@rk86183697, you're soooo funny!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, we just recently started one for people with younger onset Alzheimer's and their care partners. Seems to be appreciated by all. Stigma free social event with different interactive activities. Not many in northern NJ and not much for this younger group that has unique challenges. Good approach to helping them.

Contributor

What a great idea! I do not know if there is one in Rochester, NY!
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP