Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Greater Depression and Loneliness

Community Manager
Community Manager

Greater Depression and Loneliness

86681_39_preview.jpg

According to a University of Indiana (Bloomington) study, older adults have experienced greater depression and loneliness during the pandemic. Have you or someone you know gone through this and what has helped pull you out of the rut?

Contributor

I decided to take some classes of things I was interested in. I have also watched inspiring or uplifting programs. I have talked to friends about future plans. I have sent snail mail cards or letters to others. I have a Facebook page and use it in a positive way. With messenger you can talk and see loved ones. My friend who unfortunately has cancer and is bedridden learned for the first time and was thrilled. I am sorting things and either goodwill, Salvation Army or battered womanโ€™s shelter. Writing another book. I get depressed as well but then I made a gratitude journal and write 3 things every day. I am minimizing news and repetitive negativity. I have found new purpose. They had free HBO and a documentary โ€œIf your not in the obits, eat breakfast.โ€ People in their 90โ€™s and hundreds. They all said laugh, move be curious. I had a minister tell me many years ago never lose the child in yourself or your dead. He said there were already enough dead people walking around. I hope this helps with some ideas to get through this pandemic.

The loneliness is a real issue.  My 86 year old father lives with me, and he has been cut off from all his usual social activates due to Covid-19. Technology is not his friend.  He does not like to do zoom meeting, facetime or skype.  Also, he is not very mobile so activities like outdoor walks just don't happen.

I work from home, so I am able to check on him throughout the day.  This does not take away from the fact that I am in my office for at least 40 hours a week leaving him alone for large chucks of the day.

Luckily my brother and sister-in-law live next door, so they come over often to visit us.

Hopefully we will have a vaccine soon ๐Ÿ™‚

AARP Expert

Hey there. Your 86 year old father is very lucky to have you and your brother with him during this pandemic. He would be much more isolated if he lived by himself. Yes, let's hope for a vaccine, soon. Meanwhile, does he like Perry Mason reruns? Or Carol Burnett show episodes? My dad could watch Patton every day of the year and not get tired of it. And his favorite movie was White Christmas. Good luck to you all this holiday time and winter.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP