Rethink your job search with the AARP job board. Find opportunities for experienced workers today.

AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Grandparent raising grandchildren - Emotional Support

Message 1 of 5

Greetings, Anar655924:  Following up on Jane's post, I would definitely recommend looking for resources that are particular to your state to begin learning about what the guardianship process entails.  For example, I'm in Florida, and you can read about our guardianship process and look at resources through this link:  

https://www.flcourts.org/Resources-Services/Court-Improvement/Family-Courts/Guardianship

Your state's court system may have similar information on its webpage. 

An attorney who practices guardianship matters may be invaluable to guide you through the process and ensure that it moves as smoothly as possible.  Have you begun reaching out for help outside of our community?  

Thank you, and please know we are wishing you the best of luck!

Amanda Singleton
All posts are intended to convey general information only and not to provide legal advice or opinions. The posting and viewing of the information in this community should not be construed as, and should not be relied upon for, legal or tax advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation. The information presented may not reflect the most current legal developments. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues. Nothing written in this community is intended to create an attorney‑client relationship. An attorney-client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

@anar655924 wrote:

I'm a single grandma raising 3 grandchildren looking for whelp to get guardianship for children. I have tempoary POA, but need to get legal custody of them.

There are members of this online community who know a lot more than i do, but here are a few thoughts. My guess is that your local Department of Child Welfare, which would be part of the Department of Human Services, would know attorneys in your area who know child guardianship law and could make a referral for you. Also, the state bar society often has a hotline that you can call to ask for expertise in areas of law, like childhood guardianship. For free. You can google your town or county and attorneys for child welfare. If you put simply "guardianship", you may find only lawyers who work with elder guardianship. Any lawyers in your family? Ask advice?  And if you are low income, the Legal Aid Society might take on the case. 

The Legal Services Corporation is a nonprofit (believe it or not), and on the home page there is a box that helps you find Legal Aid near you: www.lsc.gov.  Legal Aid services was established by the federal government. 

I hope this is helpful. Your grandchildren are blessed to have you in their lives. 

Jane

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

I'm a single grandma raising 3 grandchildren looking for whelp to get guardianship for children. I have tempoary POA, but need to get legal custody of them.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

@rm32032149 wrote:

Hey.  I'm a grandma who's raising her 2-year-old granddaughter and I know I'm not alone.  Is anyone else interested in having an online support group that provides emotional support during those times when we're at the end of patience...whether with grandchildren or the parents of the grandchildren...times when we're stretched too thin, frustrated that we can't physically keep up, resentful that our lives have been sort of hyjacked?  Those are some of the tough times but I'm also looking for a community where maybe I can get ideas, share joyful moments, receive and offer advice about stuff that works or doesn't work when raising these little angels.  

If you're interested, let's start a conversation.  Thanks much!

It's so important, what you are doing for her! i found this on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Grandparents-Raising-Grandchildren-159724844105830/   Are you on facebook?  You can also put a notice up in your community and see if you can get a friendly support group going using, say, the library, or a playground in good weather, so that you all can gather locally and in person....

jane

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Grandparent raising grandchildren - Emotional Support

Message 5 of 5

Hey.  I'm a grandma who's raising her 2-year-old granddaughter and I know I'm not alone.  Is anyone else interested in having an online support group that provides emotional support during those times when we're at the end of patience...whether with grandchildren or the parents of the grandchildren...times when we're stretched too thin, frustrated that we can't physically keep up, resentful that our lives have been sort of hyjacked?  Those are some of the tough times but I'm also looking for a community where maybe I can get ideas, share joyful moments, receive and offer advice about stuff that works or doesn't work when raising these little angels.  

If you're interested, let's start a conversation.  Thanks much!

Kudos
Views
Replies