Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Getting help lifting a bed ridden person into her wheelchair for doctor appointments

Message 11 of 13

@BettyeM898829 wrote:

My cousin broke her hip and is confined 99% of the time to her bed.  She has doctor appointments that she needs to attend but getting her in and out of bed, into a wheel chair and down the steps to a van to transport her to the doctor is quite a challange.

Does anyone know of an organization or group that we can call for assistance in this area. We just need someone to help lift her into her chair and then wheel her to the van. She has a caregiver that will assist her to the doctor and back home.  But again, upon arrival at home we need the reverse service to get her back into bed.  

Any information you can share with us would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Betty,

Is her bedridden state due to something other than the broken hip?

I say this because normally a person that breaks their hip, has surgery, a short recuperation in the hospital, goes to a SNF for further mobility therapy and then more therapy once at home, with mobility increasing everyday, getting them back as much mobility as they can get to in a relatively short time.  Perhaps some may have to use a walker for awhile or longer depending upon how much they can bounce back.

Being bedridden has many problems associated with it - circulation problems, possible lung problems, muscle atrophy, cleanliness, etc. 

So my question - Why is she not more mobile now and is this bedridden condition of a long(er) term nature?

There are mechanical lifts - there are other devices, less expensive, that can assist in the lifting.

There are primary care doctors that make house call -  There are CNAs that can help you with the day to day care of a bedridden person.

There could be some other help too but your description of her condition has me questioning her actual state.  Could you clarify why she is bedridden.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views

Re: Getting help lifting a bed ridden person into her wheelchair for doctor appointments

Message 12 of 13

@BettyeM898829 wrote:

My cousin broke her hip and is confined 99% of the time to her bed.  She has doctor appointments that she needs to attend but getting her in and out of bed, into a wheel chair and down the steps to a van to transport her to the doctor is quite a challange.

Does anyone know of an organization or group that we can call for assistance in this area. We just need someone to help lift her into her chair and then wheel her to the van. She has a caregiver that will assist her to the doctor and back home.  But again, upon arrival at home we need the reverse service to get her back into bed.  

Thank you

Hi @BettyeM898829  - thank you for reaching out to us. I'd like to point you toward our new Community Resource Finder tool. When you open it, click on Care at Home and type in your zipcode. You should then see several organizations on the right hand side of your screen to which you can contact about their services. 

We also have helpful mobility videos HERE. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the videos. 

I hope you find this helpful. Please come back and let us know what you were able to find. And best wishes to your cousin for a healthy recovery. 

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Getting help lifting a bed ridden person into her wheelchair for doctor appointments

Message 13 of 13

Thank you

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies