Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Financial help

Hello my name is Leah from Georgia. I'm taking care of my 63 year old cousin.  She gets very little money for disability and social security.  Are there any programs that I can look into for help financially.  Thank you for your time please help anyone.

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@leahy851319 wrote:

Hello my name is Leah from Georgia. I'm taking care of my 63 year old cousin.  She gets very little money for disability and social security.  Are there any programs that I can look into for help financially.  Thank you for your time please help anyone.

hi Leah, sorry it's taken me so long to read your post. Here's some programs to look into:

Food stamps, known as SNAP. Has she applied? I bet she's eligible.

Utility assistance: most jurisdictions help with the cost of whatever it takes to produce heat.

Respite care: some counties have extra funds that help with giving a break to the primary caregiver which is you.

Is she a veteran? If so there are special caregiving supports for her but i'll warn you the paperwork is a bear.

Look for food banks in your area, and see when they have open hours. Go and get a bag of groceries.

Have you talked to a social worker at the area agency on aging that serves her place? Type in her zip code into www.eldercare.gov and call them up. It's there job to make sure older folks have what they need.

Please write back, i'll be sure to take notice sooner. The hysterical days of christmas are over and something resembling normalcy has returned to my schedule. Maybe others will chime in, as well!

She's lucky to have you!

Happy New Year!

Jane

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP