From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Elderly Parents Need Help

Message 11 of 12

@TerryC282085 

Before getting into the info part of it - we need info more info on his total situation.

• when you say "insurance" are you talking about Long Term Care Insurance?
  • Does anybody live with him now? 
  • Do you think that he needs 24/7 care no matter where it might be or could it be 4 - 8 hours a day, can he stay by himself at night.
  • How close are people that he could call if he fell or had an emergency
  • how is his thinking, problem solving abilities
  • Who has his official POA and/or his Healthcare POA - who pays his bills, who can legally act for him - or can he still do those things?
  • Is he well off financially?  Is he low income?  Does he have Assets - savings, house, property

We generally have to know more of this type of thing because the direction we might send you or recommend is vastly different depending on many of thes answers.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Elderly Parents Need Help

Message 12 of 12

My father is 80 and can no longer take care of himself, in the family's opinion. He suffers greatly from COPD, can't take more than a few steps (while on oxygen) without getting out of breath. He "wants" to stay in his home, however there is no family to take care of him living close. Where do I start to figure out what options are available?

Neutral person to evaluate his health and abilities.
Finding in-home care.
Assistant care living cost estimates.

Should I contactr his insurance first?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season