Rethink your job search with the AARP job board. Find opportunities for experienced workers today.

AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Dementia Expert Series, Normal Aging or Dementia? Dementia Expert series

Message 1 of 15

@cw47629412 wrote:

My husband seemed to show symptoms of memory loss.  I took him in to be checked for dementia or alzheimer,  but due to his severe dyslexia they  were unable to give me a definitive answer. it is very hard to test when he can not read and write beyond a third grader.  I have located a tutor to work with him on improving his reading.  social worker who did the testing said no.  But our doctor said maybe.

he works full time at work with no problems.  I feel like he demonstrates some type of a mental disfunction.  unsure whether it is dementia.  can you give me some advice.

Hi there, CW. Goodness. I'm thinking that there are other ways to test for dementia besides reading. There's a Literacy Independent Cognitive Assessment that i found out about just by googline 'test for dementia literacy.'  Here's the link: 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4504916/.   Print out this article. Give it to the doctor AND the social worker. And make them get on this thing. Jeeeez. 

On the other hand... if he's doing his job well, what makes you think he has dementia? or, rather, memory loss? might be normal aging...

While you two are trying to figure this out, go for a walk together? Exercise helps prevent dementia...

Please write back and tell us what happened next...

Jane

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Dementia Expert Series, Normal Aging or Dementia? Dementia Expert series

Message 2 of 15

My husband seemed to show symptoms of memory loss.  I took him in to be checked for dementia or alzheimer,  but due to his severe dyslexia they  were unable to give me a definitive answer. it is very hard to test when he can not read and write beyond a third grader.  I have located a tutor to work with him on improving his reading.  social worker who did the testing said no.  But our doctor said maybe.

he works full time at work with no problems.  I feel like he demonstrates some type of a mental disfunction.  unsure whether it is dementia.  can you give me some advice.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Dementia Expert Series, Week 1

Message 3 of 15

@lm20366758 @JaneCares 

I totally agree with Jane -- my mom started getting urinary track infections in her mid 80s relatively frequently and her behavior would change to be confused and agitated, which would resolve as soon as she got the infection controlled with antibiotics.  Not saying that is your dad's issue, but getting him checked out for underlying cause in the change of behavior is important.  It is estimated that half of people 85 and older have some form of dementia symptoms so it's not unusual.  The sooner you get him checked out the better.  Sarah

Sarah Lenz Lock, AARP Expert Brain Health
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

@lm20366758 wrote:

My 97 year old dad has become confused and agitated in a fairly short period of time. Is this just a part of Dementia setting in?

Something that comes on that suddenly might mean many things but the first piece of advice is to take him to his primary care provider. It might be a urinary tract infection, believe it or not. It could be any other kind of infection, too. It could be a new medication or an interaction, including a new supplement or herb that he decided to take. Could you tell us more? Especially about the agitation. That is worrisome.

Jane

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15

My 97 year old dad has become confused and agitated in a fairly short period of time. Is this just a part of Dementia setting in?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 15

@AmandaSingleton  Hi Amanda,

Like I was mentioning to John, losing your keys several times in a week, mixing up names or events, and even forgetting the names of old friends in conversations is not a reason to run to the doctor.  Every lapse in memory does not necessarily mean that you have dementia.  Not paying attention to what we are doing can lead to absent-mindedness for all people and it may lead to forgetfulness such as you describe for many of us as we age. It's the nature of the changes in your thinking and behavior and the matter of degree that can help you decide whether you or a loved one needs to be evaluated. If you are becoming lost in familiar places, or you are repeating the same things over and over again without realizing it, and this is happening so frequently that you find it is interfering with your activities of daily living at work or home, then you need to get checked out by your health care provider as soon as you can. New troubles in managing your finances and sudden mood and personality changes are other symptoms that signal it’s time for a check-up. Some people may be reluctant to discuss memory issues with their doctor.  But there could be underlying medical conditions – other than dementia -- causing your memory problems. For example, side effects from medications or excessive alcohol use, or stress, anxiety or depression can cause memory problems which are reversible. There are even some forms of dementia that are treatable.  If the confusion and forgetfulness is severe enough to affect your quality of life, then there is reason to seek medical advice.    Sarah

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15

recommedation : seek medical treatment ASAP  froma a local MD certified Gerentologist  !!

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 15

@Brooklyn1153

As you probably know, loneliness can pose serious physcial and mental health problems for people as they age.  In these times with families spread apart in different places, it can be hard to know how to help. People who lack social connections can be reluctant to reach out to others. Volunteering in the community can provide a reason for making social connections, and it benefits both your own brain health as well as whomever else you are helping. Studies have demonstrated that feeling purpose in life is associated with a 20% reduction in the risk for dementia! Try not to push a particular solution but ask questions to determine what is of interest to your sister. Are your other family members willing to arrange to make regular calls to your sister? The Brain and Social Connectedness Report provides lots of tips at https://bit.ly/2KS9nOQ. If your sister's doctor refuses to listen to her concerns, then maybe it’s time to look for another one who will!

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 15

@JohnS34751

Sounds like good advice!  Not being able to remember the name of an aquaintance is normal aging, but if you can't recognize a family member then that is a concern.  If you are ocasionally forgetting things or events, or if you are not able to find the right word sometimes, that is normal.  But if you are frequently forgetting things and regularly struggle with word choice, then you should get that checked out. One of my favorite examples is that forgetting where you put your keys  is normal, but not remembering whether you drove your car home or not last night is a reason to get evaluated.  Two rules of thumb to ask yourself:  1.  Is it serious enough that it is impacting my daily  life?  2.  Does everyone else who knows me well seemed alarmed, but not me?  Sarah

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15

@StuartR890144

Hi Frank,

If you are worried about your ability to comprehend information in reading and conversation, you should definitely talk to your family health care provider. But part of comprehension is focus and memory.  Lots of people as they age lose some of their ability to maintain focused attention, experience memory loss, or find that their ability to process information is not as fast as it was when they were younger. That is normal, and there are activities that can help to maintain these and other cognitive functions over time. I recommend taking a look at the Global Council on Brain Health's report, Engage Your Brain for strategies to help you improve focus.  Sometimes improving your sleep, fixing a vitamin deficiency, or simply paying more attention can help.  But if its starting to interfere with your life and you remain concerned, your doctor should evaluate whether it is nothing to worry about, something that is a simple fix, or something more serious like dementia.  Sarah

Tags (4)
Kudos
Views