You can help to pick the winner of the 2018 Movies for Grownups Readers' Choice award! Vote now for your favorite film.

AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Challenges you face when caring for someone with dementia

Message 21 of 26

@s730678s wrote:

How can wandering be corrected with dementia patients?

Wandering is very tricky!  I have 2 ideas: one is to hide their shoes.

The other is to buy GPS shoes: they are expensive but you can always find your loved one if they do happen to 'escape.'

Any other ideas out there folks?

Jane

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 26

@DonnaW710509

Morning Donna!  You are so right.  Singing and music and being social in a choir can be so great for a person living with dementia.  In fact at least two professors have studied the benefits of choirs on the cognitive health of people living with dementia.  Mary Mittleman out of NYU and Julene Johnson from UCSF.  I don't have specific expertise on this question, so I will ask them and get back to you!

Have you seen the 2014 documentary "Alive Inside" about the work of Music and Memory?  It's awesome!  Music & Memory is a NY non-profit that promotes music as a way to tap memories and reduce stress.  Sarah

Sarah Lock, AARP Expert Brain Health
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 26

@s730678s Glad you asked!   Wandering is one of the most common issues to deal with.  Here is a great Alzheimer's and Dementia care video with lots of ideas from our friends at UCLA who worked with AARP to post their caregiver training videos on AARP's CareConnection site.  Dr. Linda Ercoli is featured with several very specific suggestions about how to distract and dissuade a person with dementia from wandering with respect and love.    

There are lots of videos available on managing challenging behaviors -- scroll down to the one on wandering. 

https://www.careconnection.aarp.org/en/pages/tips-and-articles/dementia-alzheimers/dementia-videos.h...

Sarah (and my colleagues Sanjay Khurana and Sara Kim, and Drs. Zaldy Tan,  David Reuben and Linda Ercoli from UCLA!)

Sarah Lock, AARP Expert Brain Health
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 26

I am trying to help out a person in our choir. I am trying to find ways to keep him/her in the choir because singing is so important for the brain. However, I never knew there were so many cognitive steps to following the music in the hymnal with the new songs. Nothing yet has worked out well... Larger print of the lyrics... a special notebook... line markers... all of the other choir members try to assist but is there anything else we have not tried that would keep this individual focused? The socializing and singing is so very important! Thank you!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 26

How can wondering be corrected with dementia patients?

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Challenges you face when caring for someone with dementia

Message 26 of 26

What are some of the greatest challenges you face caring for a loved one with dementia? 

Get some great answers from our expert, Sarah Lock.  Sarah Lock is Senior Vice President for Policy and Brain Health in AARP’s Policy, Research and International. She leads policy initiatives on brain health and care for people living with dementia and is Executive Director of the Global Council on Brain Health, an independent collaborative of scientists, doctors and policy experts convened by AARP to provide trusted information on brain health.

Share and learn now.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies