Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Catherine Alicia Georges Named to Family Caregiving Advisory Council - Give her your feedback he

Message 1 of 16

Good morning, I have become caregiver for my husband, he has many health issues.  He was recovering from a heart attack and was doing very well, then he fall, and fracture his hip and was in a nursing home for six weeks, he is home now and requires necessary care, it's very exhausting.  We do not have a polciy to provide an aid to come in at least one day a week to stay with him to give me some relief.  Is there a organization that could help me for a modest fee.  Thank you Geraldine Schatz

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Catherine Alicia Georges Named to Family Caregiving Advisory Council - Give her your feedback he

Message 2 of 16

@eh6158 

Concerning respite care -

In 2019, some Medicare Advantage plans are now offering new benefits - respite care is one of them.

These new benefits are NOT offered in original Medicare only under select Advantage plans and are just now getting started - hopefully this will be successful all around and more plans will begin to offer them.

AARP talks about these new services here:

AARP 03/13/2019 - Family Caregiver Supports in Medicare Advantage Plans: New Opportunities for Perso...

For original Medicare, respite care is only offered under Hospice care

Medicare.gov - Hospice Care Coverage

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 16

Hello Cahterine,

One of the biggest issues facing caregivers caring a relative at home is the nationwide shortage of healthcare workers. I have found that it is difficult to arrange respite care with home health aid agencies for the following reasons: insufficient staff to meet demand, unwilling to travel without an increase in hourly rate (paid by the care recipient), and high hourly rate charged by some agencies. In addition, there is the added challenge of vetting care gives that one could hire on their own (e.g. from Care.com).

Please discuss this point and possible solutions with the Family Caregiving Advisory Council.

Thank you,

Jim D.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 16

My husband aged 77 began dialysis when he was in re-hab so was able to get his treatments.  However, his insurance coverage ran out and was literally kicked out of the rehab facility.  He was sent home and was unable to get out of bed.  I was therefore his care-giver.  The problem was there was no one that could provide transportation to the dialysis center and therefore after two month died from renal failure.  We desperately needed transportation both to a dialysis center as well as doctor offices.  Some day I pray there will be a better system for home-bound patients to get where they need to go for their medical needs. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 16

I am 56 years old and I take care of my husband that was injured on 9/11, I followed my husband with my two daughters to a new state cause we were told we would be taken care off through Red Cross with medicail for me and my daughters.   When we moved we tried to get benefits for myself and daughters with the door slammed in are faces, my husband is taken care of well from the state of New York, but we lost are benefits once we moved.  So we were paying for everything for my daughters cause they were constantly sick and meds and doctors visits were draining our funds that we received.  For 4 1/2 years I have been working for me to have benefits cause I became ill and funds were running low, so I was able to receive Chips until they became of age that they no longer receive it. My oldest was able to get good benefits where she is working, but still had to join the FML group so she wouldn’t loose her job.  For me and my second daughter we were caring for my husband and my daughter also gets ill very bad and can’t leave the house to much.  So the two of have no insurance, my daughter my just some insurance but not enough to help with the lung infection she get and migraines a lot of times.   For me I have a bad back for taking care care of my husband for many years, and our doctor put in for home health for. Helping us.  But again no health insurance and I have been applying many time with Medicaid in the state of Texas and the doors are being slammed in our face when we were tp;d we will be taking care of due to we our 9/11 survivors.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 16

It's a blessing to hear someone that is compassionate and advocating for the support of caregivers!  I was a paid In Home Support Services (IHSS) /Provider/caregiver in California. I had to relocate to Las Vegas to take care of my mother after her recent health event that occurred earlier this year. My mother has to be watched 24/7 and is no longer independent.  To my dismay, after much research & phone calls to receive compensation, I was told that Nevada does not pay caregivers for taking care of their relatives, which leaves me with no income. I agree that this is not a one person situation, but a situation on a National level. I suggest that with a collection of signatures and/or whatever it takes, get a Proposition on the Ballot re: All caregivers get paid regardless of taking care of their loved ones or others. This will allow all Americans to have a voice, decrease the unemployment rate, the crime rate and keep our Nation from going into another recession.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 16

I would am POA for my mom and Step Dad. I am primary caregiver 24/7 for both. I would like to see POA's get paid for caregiving. I had to put my business to the side to take care of them both. No family members here and not willing to assist.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 16

There should be a way to get Medicare to help pay for family caregivers. I can't work and paying for respite care could be better. It's the only way I keep sane. My father is 95 and has demenia. It's really hard to make it work with our budget.  Let me know if things change and thank you for your work.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 16
  1. Dear Catherine  thank you for the work you are doing  to benefit caregivers   I am a family physician for the last 40 years  .Now  I have to leave my practice to be caregiver of my 86 year old husband that develop dementia getting worst.
  2. He is a veteran and any help that they give is a long delay. I am waiting for stair Glyde for more than a year and still waiting
  3. After 2 years waiting for bathroom for disable they approve and they start last friday  
  4. Please notify me to whom I I have to speak un Veteran Health in PR
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 16

Someday i would love to tell my Story too. I had just finished Medical School.. Never got a Chance to say Thanks to my Father for helping me through Medical School. He was Brain Damaged during Heart surgery. Was a Veggie and in Coma for 18+ years. Lost Our House. I quit Medicine to Help and Take Care of Him so That My Mom and Sister would'nt live on a Street. That was a Long Care Taking Experience and, that is a very Short Explanation of what else Happened!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Rewards for Good announcement banner with end date
Top Authors