Take 25 percent off the cost of the award-winning AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code ‘BHM’ for savings.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Caring for loved ones at home?

Message 1 of 21

Joey@2flowers wrote:

I would like to know if you are caregiving for family member are you qualified to be compensated in Georgia if the family member has Medicaid. Thank you

It is not normally that way in GA - there has to be some extenuating circumstances for this to happen.

This should answer your question - CCSP stands for "Community Care Service Program "

GA. Medicaid Elderly & Disabled Waiver - CCSP

If you think an extenuating circumstances applies, contact the Georgia  government division described in the above info.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 21

I would like to know if you are caregiving for family member are you qualified to be compensated in Georgia if the family member has Medicaid. Thank you

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 21

Hey Andy,

Your posts have gotten responses of support, and it's been many months since you first wrote. I'm wondering how things are going now. Sounds like your husband and you have been trying to help your mother in law, and she was very sad, very discouraged, back in May when you described your situation. I also understand that you have your own relatives to worry about, as well. 

Any update for us? We all learn from each other. 

What i read into your posts from months ago was also some exasperation and resentment. Your mother in law was asking for more assistance, more tending to, and not doing much to help herself, and you perceived that she was acting entitled, as though she were a grumpy princess, and you two at her beck and call. 

Some people get depressed as they lose their independence, and becoming blind is a whopper. Doesn't mean that she has a right to treat you like a bellhop. But, there are antidepressants, there are strategies and ideas that help people adjust to the least fun aspects of aging and loss. And you need to care for YOU, and for your marriage, as you yourself get older, right? Put the oxygen mask on yourself first. 

Anyway, i would love to hear what's happening now. I think perhaps folks were reacting a little bit to the anger in your first post. It's okay to be angry. Help us out, and teach us all how things have evolved since May, if you choose. 

And all the best, regardless,

Jane

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 21
Hello and God Bless you for all you do for your love ones. If the person that is criticizing you and your work for your love one. They should think before they speak if they are not contributing any fund nor lending a helping hand to you should not speak out of terms. I have done care giving for years and it is not easy. It upset me to hear the thing that comes out of their mouth. Please you do you and take care of your love ones. That is a blessing all to it self. But remember one day they will get old and need someone I hope they can remember what they are saying when it comes to their term being a elder person.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 21

You are a Very caring Human Being,and Never forget that !!! I  too care for a family member. It's not easy,but I would'nt have it any other way!!!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 21

@YolandaE903594

@CatherineG621442

If you both are responding to the post made by @andyz867798 - to which I responded to - Please understand that @andyz867798 deleted the post which made it sound like a boarder situation rather than a caregiving situation.  Then @andyz867798 reposted, modifying their original thoughts and phrased it as asking rather than telling.

Personally, I believe that a caregiver gives care.  They don't decide when a pretty much or totally blind person should do some aspects of housecleaning just because the in-house care person may think it would make them feel better mentally or physically.

Caregiving has little to do with "spoiling them" - A caregiver does everything for them which they can which the person cannot do for themselves.  It really isn't the caregivers responsibility to diagnosis or treat whatever they think might be a person's problem - mentally or physically - without consulting a health professional 1st because the person needing care has limitations, perhaps both physical and mental, some of which might need outside professional help.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 21

I can totally understand you asking for no criticism. I find myself really upset about people offering opinions and criticisms but no help. Anyhow all I can is that I vent very often with anyone who listens. I ended up being a "go to " person when it comes to caregiving. God bless you and your family. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 21

totally misunderstood

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 21

There is no way I can explain every detail of our situation in this artical. You nor anyone else has any idea how our day to day is going with my mother-in-law. She can't live alone, she can't see how to read her mail, her precriptions, she can't open the milk container by herself, she can't even see derections on food container and how to cook them she has limitions due to her pace maker and other health problems. I ONLY ask her to do things like dust as a promoter to get her up out of her chair and to move a little, I don't care if she actually dust or not. I don't need ask her help because I want help doing housework, I am perfect happy doing it myself. I care for her every need and enjoy doing so. But she went into depresstion when she learned she was loosing her eye sight and then it changed into anger and now it's made her give up on everything in her life. We ONLY want what is best for her and she loves us and wants us here. She has thought many times that we might leave and has always told us she didn't want us to leave that she wanted us here and needed us. BUT MY POINT is this....our being here has caused her to go into a state of mind "SPOIL ME" rather than "CARE FOR ME. That and only that is what I am seeking answers for, While she sits inactive her heath deterierates. Her son, my husband takes her to all her apointments, because I also have my own mother and father and uncle that I care for and take to apointments. I was in hope of getting advice not criticism.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 21

@andyz867798

Is this a joke ??

Why did you move into her home in the 1st place if not for caregiving - that means giving care.

If she only had a problem with driving after she LOST SOME OF HER VISION, she could could have just called a taxi.

Who takes her to her Dr. Appointments?

If I were her - I would ask you to leave and just ask for help from somebody else.

Sounds like you are boarders, not caregivers - 

Kudos
Views