Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Caregiving

I a a 63y/o disabled veteran and a caregiver for a 39y/o stroke victim who was literally given no chance of survival after a massive stroke he suffered in Nevada. I stayed with him in the hospital on a daily basis until a family member from Hawaii could make the trip and eventually bring him home. After extensive rehabilitation he now resides with me in Mesa, **bleep** and is doing incredibly well with physical therapy and will be undergoing further neuroscience testing. He is doing quite well and our goal is to see him walking again one day soon. God has truly blessed him and myself for this wonderful opportunity!

Hi,

I am my mother's caregiver.  She has lung cancer as well as Alzheimer's.  I honestly don't have more than an hour a day to myself.  My sister always tells me to do self care.  I don't even know what that would be at this point.  I love my mom, but she can be very irritable and nasty at times.  That is when I have to sit in another room away from her, and think of happy places.  Serene scenes like a still lake or the sun reflecting on the waves of an ocean.  It sounds silly, but it helps.

Thank you

AARP Expert

@JosephR9424 wrote:
I a a 63y/o disabled veteran and a caregiver for a 39y/o stroke victim who was literally given no chance of survival after a massive stroke he suffered in Nevada. I stayed with him in the hospital on a daily basis until a family member from Hawaii could make the trip and eventually bring him home. After extensive rehabilitation he now resides with me in Mesa, **bleep** and is doing incredibly well with physical therapy and will be undergoing further neuroscience testing. He is doing quite well and our goal is to see him walking again one day soon. God has truly blessed him and myself for this wonderful opportunity!

Hey Joseph, 

What a story! If you are willing, i'd love to know how you came to be a caregiver for him. Are you a professional caregiver, a certified nursing assistant or something? 

Btw, thank you also for your service for our country!

I am so glad that he is doing so well. The brain is resilient, as well as the mind body and spirit!

Thank you for sharing, and do say more if you're willing! 

He is indeed blessed, as are you.

Jane

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP