Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Expert

Caregiving in the Phoenix Area

Are you a family caregiver in the Phoenix metropolitan area or maybe a long-distance caregiver for someone who lives in Phoenix? I find that connecting with other caregivers is the best way to learn about local supports, tips and resources! Introduce yourself and let's keep this thread going to share any Phoenix area resources we know about! 

I'll start:

I live in Chandler and am caregiving for my Dad who is 93 and has Alzheimer's disease and lives with me - I came out to Phoenix about 9 years ago from Washington, DC to care for both of my parents. My Mom passed on 4 years ago. My sister and her two sons moved out here from Ohio about a year and a half ago and  lived with us the first year and now live next door! It's perfect so we can all care for Dad. I also have another caregiver who supplements our care. We also care for his aging service dog, Mr. Jackson, who requires as much care as Daddy now! But he is still "on the job" and wants to be there for Daddy. I've also worked in the field of aging for 35+ years and am currently a caregiving expert for AARP. 

I look forward to interacting with my fellow Phoenix area caregivers! Mom Dad Amy Jackson Fave photo 4th of July.jpg

Contributor

I live in Chandler and my parents live in Mesa. I'm there everyday making sure they have what they need. They recently hired a caregiver part time to help me with some of the responsibilities. Does anyone know of any support groups for caregivers in the Chandler area? Some of the ones I saw were disease-specific support groups rather than a general elder care support group. TIA!

0 Kudos
Contributor

The Area Agency on Aging website has a list of various ongoing Caregiver support groups and training in the Phoenix area. Perhaps they have something along the lines of what you're looking for. Here's the link: http://aaaphx.org/program-services/family-caregiver-support-program/#

Contributor

Here is the local resource book for Caregivers in Phoenix.  It is a great place to start to find out where to go for help. Phoenix Resource GuidePhoenix Caregiver Resource Guide

Contributor

Here is a local Caregiver Resource Guide Phoenix Resource Guide

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hi everyone, the links now work. Thanks for your patience.  

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
0 Kudos
AARP Expert

My Dad is a veteran and I was so happy to find there is a VA clinic here in the East Valley so we don't have to go all the way downtown to the main VA hospital! It's the Southeast Veterans Affairs Health Care Clinic in Gilbert. There is a huge parking lot - never trouble finding a spot like downtown and there are always volunteers there ready to give a ride from the car in a golf cart, push a wheelchair, hold doors etc. I find it a much nicer atmosphere than downtown also! They have an audiology clinic, PT, lab etc. there also. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP