Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Caregivers help for dying spouse

My cousin who has leukemia has been given only 1 to 2 months to live. The question i have is there a way for his wife to take time away from her job during this time to care for him and get some financial help while during? This is very stressful for her and having to leave him and work at night is taken a toll on her. 

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@kellieg333887 I'm so sorry to hear of your cousin's challenges. It's a difficult and stressful time and I'm sure she wants to spend every moment she can with her husband. 

• I hope he is receiving hospice care - that can be helpful in terms of respite and volunteers who can be with her husband when she must be away. 
  • Her ability to use federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) depends on her employer.The federal FMLA entitles eligible employees of all public agencies, all public and private elementary and secondary schools, and companies with 50 or more employees who work within a 75-mile radius to up to 12 weeks a year of unpaid leave as well as job protection. This is not paid leave though it would help her take time off. She can also use vacation and sick leave, according to her employer's policies. 
  • Some states have paid family leave - contact the state department of labor to ask about state policies. 
  • Some employers allow employees to give their unused leave to other employees. So, for example, her co-workers could donate their unused leave to her so she can take this time off with pay.

I hope some of these will lead to more support for your cousin. Has she talked with her employer's dept of human resources? One - two months is not a long time, perhaps they could work out an arragnement for her to work at least part time during this tough time. She's lucky to have a cousin like you looking out for her. 

Take care,

Amy Goyer, AARP's Family and Caregiving Expert

Honored Social Butterfly

@kellieg333887 wrote:

My cousin who has leukemia has been given only 1 to 2 months to live. The question i have is there a way for his wife to take time away from her job during this time to care for him and get some financial help while during? This is very stressful for her and having to leave him and work at night is taken a toll on her. 

If the husband is already on Social Security Disability, there is an amount added in for her benefit and any minor kids in their care.  

Is the person a Veteran ?  If so, that might open other doors.

Hospice should be available for some help during the end stages of life - should be offered via his insurance plan - public or private.  Hospice utilizes volunteers sometimes as sitters or companionship.  Talk to his doctors about Hospice agencies which may have some benefits along this line.

Some states mandate Family Leave, some companies offer it too, but as to being paid while attending to these matters, I don't know.

Sorry both of them have to go through such an emotional ordeal.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP