Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Caregiver Support Group

I am a caregiver for my mother. Does any one know of a Caregiver Support Group that meets in South Florida Miami area?  I really need to talk with others to share our experiences. 

0 Kudos
AARP Expert

Hi David:  I'm in Florida also.  I'll check with my contacts about Miami-area caregiver support groups.  How far are you willing to travel and have you considered looking for a group that is specific to your family circumstances (is your mom dealing with a specific illness, is she under Hospice care, etc.?).

Also, I 100% agree with the posters above who mentioned AARP facilitated groups.  I've attended the Careversations series in the Tampa Bay area, and they are phenomenal.  It looks like there was just one in South Florida last week (https://local.aarp.org/aarp-event/aarp-careversations-coral-gables-fl-81518-630-pm-r2n5n3w98q2.html), so you may want to keep an eye on AARP Florida programs for the next one near you. 

Best of luck in your search and please keep us posted on how you're doing!

Amanda Singleton
All posts are intended to convey general information only and not to provide legal advice or opinions. The posting and viewing of the information in this community should not be construed as, and should not be relied upon for, legal or tax advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation. The information presented may not reflect the most current legal developments. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues. Nothing written in this community is intended to create an attorney‑client relationship. An attorney-client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement.
AARP Expert

Oops, I see that David's original post was back in February. David, glad to see you've found a group that was valuable for you. Terri, have you found support that suited your needs (in person or online)? In the past, I've had to do online groups both out of necessity because of time constraints and also not having groups available that I felt comfortable with (in one I attended (briefly), I was the youngest caregiver by about 40 years). There was a lot of comfort and information in the online boards I frequented as a caregiver. The commiseration always boosted my spirits. Best of luck to you!
Amanda Singleton
All posts are intended to convey general information only and not to provide legal advice or opinions. The posting and viewing of the information in this community should not be construed as, and should not be relied upon for, legal or tax advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation. The information presented may not reflect the most current legal developments. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues. Nothing written in this community is intended to create an attorney‑client relationship. An attorney-client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement.
Periodic Contributor

I just came across this site and am so glad I found your post! I’m a 41 year old only child (also happen to be an RN) who moved back home after 23 years away living my life to become my mom’s full time care giver. I moved back and basically gave up my entire life on 9.29.17. You only get one mom though and I love mine dearly! I am definitely starting to see that some things need to change (I’ve just come across the terms caregiver stress and caregiver exhaustion-actually was diagnosed with those during a recent unexpected ER visit!) and I’m just now starting to look around for what support groups and other resources are around for people who do what we do.

Thank you again!

AARP Expert

Hi @RachelC961851 !  We're so glad you found this forum.  You're in good company here.  Reach out with any questions or if you just want to blow off steam and connect with others who get it.  I can definitely relate to your post.  Taking care of my mom was a marathon (I was a bit younger than you, about 30 when I was her full-time caregiver).  By the end, my endocrine system was totally fried.  Caregiver burnout and adrenal fatigue are very real.  I hope you're nurturing yourself as you're taking care of your mom and exploring all the respite care options your area has to offer.  Keep us posted on what's happening as you move forward.  Wishing you all the best and sending you a big hug too.  

Amanda Singleton
0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@RachelC961851 wrote:

I just came across this site and am so glad I found your post! I’m a 41 year old only child (also happen to be an RN) who moved back home after 23 years away living my life to become my mom’s full time care giver. I moved back and basically gave up my entire life on 9.29.17. You only get one mom though and I love mine dearly! I am definitely starting to see that some things need to change (I’ve just come across the terms caregiver stress and caregiver exhaustion-actually was diagnosed with those during a recent unexpected ER visit!) and I’m just now starting to look around for what support groups and other resources are around for people who do what we do.

Thank you again!

Welcome, welcome a very warm welcome, Rachel!! Yup, you only get one mom. I am so glad you found us. I'm a social worker and 'behavioral health clinician' working in a primary care setting in a 'so rural we're called frontier' area of south east Oregon. My partner has MS but is still very independent and healthy. I've been a caregiver to my grandmother, and both parents. Learning how to be a gracious caregiver without burning out and hurting oneself is one of the great life lessons, and you're in the front row at the moment, aren't you. 

Since you mentioned that you've been experiencing, and naming, caregiver stress, perhaps you can broaden the resources you and your mom are using. If you put in your zip code at www.eldercare.gov, you'll find a local area agency on aging, a taxpayer supported program, and you can call and maybe go meet with someone to find out what's available to the two of you. Depends on what she needs, and what your income is. But there are services that might be just the thing you need to have a bit of respite. 

There are also in-person support groups that will help you get tips and share them with people experiencing similar adventures. Google is helpful: type in your county or town, 'caregiver support group' and see what pops up.

The AARP web site has amazing resources, seriously, so go exploring here, too. And please write back. So glad you found us. 

Jane

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi! My name is Mary Vaughn, I am the Director of Community & Faith Outreach Initiative, Inc. we host a Grandparents/Kinship raising family members support group in Indianapolis, Indiana at the Avondale YMCA, 3908 Meadows Dr, Indianapolis, IN.  We meet the first Tuesday of the month at 11:00am our next meeting is on September 4, 2018 the topic is Guardianship. We also offer training for Foster Parents. Everyone is Welcome!

Contributor

hi its terri , i live in NJ and am looking for a support group too , i care for my mom she is 95 , i am willing to support online
0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@tease12 wrote:
hi its terri , i live in NJ and am looking for a support group too , i care for my mom she is 95 , i am willing to support online

Hey Terri, 

Our south Miami poster has a great suggestion: your local AARP group can steer you in the right direction. What town in NJ are you in? One of us could do some googling for you. And you can do it yourself of course: your town or county, and 'caregiving support group' should help you find something. 

This aarp community for caregivers also has a great deal of wisdom in it. I've learned so much. Is there a particular issue you're struggling with ?   It is enough that you care for your mother. And we hope you care for yourself, too, that you aren't alone in your caregiving, that she is pleasant and grateful rather than paranoid and combative. 

Have you reached out to any community services, just to see what might be useful to you? If you go to eldercare.gov and type in her zip code, you'll find the agency that serves seniors in her area. You can check out their web site, call in, and talk to an intake worker. Might be something that you could take advantage of that she'd enjoy, or that would benefit you both, like Respite Care or Meals on Wheels.

Share more?

Best of luck! She is a lucky woman!

Jane

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi Terri:

I attended an AARP in-person workshop. Just do a search on their website and type in your city. I find in-person is better and you get to meet individuals who share the same interests and concerns working as caregivers. I know it is not that easy especially the demands of a love one.

Hope this helps, 

David

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP