Medicare open enrollment has begun! Learn all about it in AARP's guide to Medicare made easy.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Caregiver Support Group

Message 1 of 15

Hello Social Butterfly:

I contacted Alliance for Aging and did a preliminary interview on the phone. It takes several weeks until they get back to me for an intake interview to see what programs I might qualify for; as a resutl, I plan to follow up with them since the squeaky wheel gets the job done.

See you are very involved as a caregiver with your parents and wish you the best. Sometimes I get overwhelm with the responsibilities since I am between a regular job and doing my duties helping my mother at home.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 15

Appreciate the resourse and registered for the May event. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 15

David, there's this that's upcoming on March 20th: http://aarp.cvent.com/c/calendar/1290524d-cc8b-4726-be0a-495935bc0a83

Might be a good way to meet people and find resources.

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

@DavidU677830 Hi Dave - just checking back in to see how you are doing? Have you connected with a support group in your area?  I've been caregiving intensively for both of my parents (my Mom also had spinal stenosis and also had a stroke, and fell and fractured her spine...my Dad has Alzheimers and congestive heart failure) for the past 12 yrs or so and my best advice to you is pace yourself! Definitely get support, and your role with change over the years so your need for caregivers support will too. We are here for you! I find as a caregiver we learn the most from each other. So glad you connected with the local Alliance for Aging - they are great in your area so there should be a lot of support! 

Take care, 

Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert 

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15

@DavidU677830wrote:

Made contact with Alliance for Ageing in Miami and they can help with various services. 

Feeling the stress sometimes and found a way to take mini-vacations during the day that might include a visit to my local cafe coffee and doughnut, or walk around a golf course.

Hey David, that is great news! It takes work to find the services that fit your situation, but then your stress level shoud go down because you are no longer all by yourself. Mini-vacations are awesome. Walking is fabulous. Can you find a walking buddy? I have a couple different walking companions. Or i listen to a podcast. In Florida the weather must be awesome. It's just before it gets too hot!

If you don't mind, would you share with all of us what services you end up finding the most helpful? Senior services vary a lot by county. I am learning all the time about this stuff...

Please keep checking in. Soon you'll be an expert, and we need your tips!

All the best,

Jane

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 15

Made contact with Alliance for Ageing in Miami and they can help with various services. 

Feeling the stress sometimes and found a way to take mini-vacations during the day that might include a visit to my local cafe coffee and doughnut, or walk around a golf course.

Kudos
Views
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15

Welcome David! Please do write back and keep us posted on what you find. 

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 15

@DavidU677830wrote:

Hi Jane:

Thanks for the information. It has been hard my new career as a caregiver. Thought about contacting my local library and run the idea of a care giver support group. Mother has Spinal Stenosis and has a difficult time getting around; as a result, I have to do all the chores now including cooking, shopping, cleaning, driving, etc.

David

Good for you.  And good luck. Caregivers need cameraderie, and yet its hard to get away to attend a group. But there's nothing like being in person with people who totally get what you are experiencing.

I obviously don't know your financial situation, but you can hire other people to do some of this, if your mother has the funds. Hiring a house cleaner twice a month may be an investment in your sanity. Who wants to scrub the toilets? Delegate! Unless you have the assets of Rockefeller, i'd recommend that you avoid using your own assets to hire help. You need your own money for you. If she's poor, then, does she have long term care Medicaid? A real annoyance to apply for but once she has it, all kinds of good things can happen. Including some home care in some states. Someone at the agency that helps disabled/ older people can guide you. Find the closest at www.eldercare.gov.

Write more? Let us know how the group goes!

And we're here in virtualy community with you, too.

Jane

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 15

Hi Jane:

Thanks for the information. It has been hard my new career as a caregiver. Thought about contacting my local library and run the idea of a care giver support group. Mother has Spinal Stenosis and has a difficult time getting around; as a result, I have to do all the chores now including cooking, shopping, cleaning, driving, etc.

David

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15

HI Jen:

Thanks for the information!

David