Help seniors affected by the California wildfires! Donate now and your gift will be matched up to a total of $300,000.

AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Caregiver Support Group

Message 11 of 15

DavidU677830 wrote:

I am a caregiver for my mother. Does any one know of a Caregiver Support Group that meets in South Florida Miami area?  I really need to talk with others to share our experiences. 

Jen is such an amazing resource.

Another idea, if you're up to it, is to start one on your own. That takes a bit of work but can be very rewarding. There is a group at my former church (i moved across the country, silly me), and it is called Caring for Aging Loved Ones. They meet once a month in folks' homes and have a simple soup/bread potluck and talk. They share what's going on with their husbands/wives/parents, and one has a disabled son who will never live independently.

That group was started by one of the members.

I know of another group that was started by a person after he secured a meeting room at a local library. It met weekly!

Do consider using this caregiving forum on aarp to ask questions, read what others have written, and share the wisdom you've gleaned. There's something super handy about posing a question whenever you think about it, or sharing a successful tip, and then days later finding answers and feedback. You don't have to drive anywhere to find parking for our wisdom!

Tell us about yourself and your mom if you wish. and thanks for writing here.

Jane

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 15

David,

HERE is a link worth checking out:

And THIS one. 

You can also call the Eldercare Locator to see what is available in your community. They can be reached at: 1-800-677-1116.

Hoe this is helpful!

Jen

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 15

Hi Jen,

I reside in 33180

David

Kudos
Views
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 15

David, what is your zipcode?

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Caregiver Support Group

Message 15 of 15

I am a caregiver for my mother. Does any one know of a Caregiver Support Group that meets in South Florida Miami area?  I really need to talk with others to share our experiences. 

Kudos
Views
Replies