Medicare open enrollment has begun! Learn all about it in AARP's guide to Medicare made easy.

AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Caregiver Support Group

Message 1 of 7
Oops, I see that David's original post was back in February. David, glad to see you've found a group that was valuable for you. Terri, have you found support that suited your needs (in person or online)? In the past, I've had to do online groups both out of necessity because of time constraints and also not having groups available that I felt comfortable with (in one I attended (briefly), I was the youngest caregiver by about 40 years). There was a lot of comfort and information in the online boards I frequented as a caregiver. The commiseration always boosted my spirits. Best of luck to you!
Amanda Singleton, J.D.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

Hi David:  I'm in Florida also.  I'll check with my contacts about Miami-area caregiver support groups.  How far are you willing to travel and have you considered looking for a group that is specific to your family circumstances (is your mom dealing with a specific illness, is she under Hospice care, etc.?).

Also, I 100% agree with the posters above who mentioned AARP facilitated groups.  I've attended the Careversations series in the Tampa Bay area, and they are phenomenal.  It looks like there was just one in South Florida last week (https://local.aarp.org/aarp-event/aarp-careversations-coral-gables-fl-81518-630-pm-r2n5n3w98q2.html), so you may want to keep an eye on AARP Florida programs for the next one near you. 

Best of luck in your search and please keep us posted on how you're doing!

Amanda Singleton, J.D.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

Hi! My name is Mary Vaughn, I am the Director of Community & Faith Outreach Initiative, Inc. we host a Grandparents/Kinship raising family members support group in Indianapolis, Indiana at the Avondale YMCA, 3908 Meadows Dr, Indianapolis, IN.  We meet the first Tuesday of the month at 11:00am our next meeting is on September 4, 2018 the topic is Guardianship. We also offer training for Foster Parents. Everyone is Welcome!

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

@tease12 wrote:
hi its terri , i live in NJ and am looking for a support group too , i care for my mom she is 95 , i am willing to support online

Hey Terri, 

Our south Miami poster has a great suggestion: your local AARP group can steer you in the right direction. What town in NJ are you in? One of us could do some googling for you. And you can do it yourself of course: your town or county, and 'caregiving support group' should help you find something. 

This aarp community for caregivers also has a great deal of wisdom in it. I've learned so much. Is there a particular issue you're struggling with ?   It is enough that you care for your mother. And we hope you care for yourself, too, that you aren't alone in your caregiving, that she is pleasant and grateful rather than paranoid and combative. 

Have you reached out to any community services, just to see what might be useful to you? If you go to eldercare.gov and type in her zip code, you'll find the agency that serves seniors in her area. You can check out their web site, call in, and talk to an intake worker. Might be something that you could take advantage of that she'd enjoy, or that would benefit you both, like Respite Care or Meals on Wheels.

Share more?

Best of luck! She is a lucky woman!

Jane

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

Hi Terri:

I attended an AARP in-person workshop. Just do a search on their website and type in your city. I find in-person is better and you get to meet individuals who share the same interests and concerns working as caregivers. I know it is not that easy especially the demands of a love one.

Hope this helps, 

David

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7
hi its terri , i live in NJ and am looking for a support group too , i care for my mom she is 95 , i am willing to support online
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Caregiver Support Group

Message 7 of 7

I am a caregiver for my mother. Does any one know of a Caregiver Support Group that meets in South Florida Miami area?  I really need to talk with others to share our experiences. 

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Replies