Science is honing in on better ways to treat chronic pain. Read about it in this AARP series.

AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Anyone a Caregiver for parent in Illinois

Message 1 of 6

@Dalia1965 wrote:

My mom is recently diagnosed with dementia.  I would like to be her day caregiver and am prepared to quit my job, or go down to part time hours.  I have read that I can get paid the standard rate.  If I could do it for free, trust me, I would.  I simply cannot afford to not get paid.  Is anyone in a similar situation?  Any advice?

Hi Dalia,

Jen knows this web site so well: do please check out what she's pointed out for you.  There are a couple of (additional) paths to take to help out your mother without going broke yourself. If you can't get the state programs to pay you for helping your mom, maybe she can pay you herself. You'd have to make sure that your siblings (if you have any) agree, and set it up like a business: keep track of your hours, agree to a fee, have her write you a check. 

Which brings up whether or not she'd like to name you, or someone else, to have financial powers of attorney, in case at some point she can't keep track of her own money. This whole area can be fraught with danger: she could get paranoid, other family members suspicious... families have had terrible fallings-out over these matters. is there a supportive family around you both? maybe have a family  meeting about it?

would you move in, or she move into your home? you could share expenses to some degree, save money that way.

What questions do you have given all this advice? kinda overwhelming... tell us more, ask away. 

Jane

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

Try this....   Illinois Family Caregiver Support Program - Illinois.gov

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6
This is not a good link, page does not open.
Dalia K
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

This is Illinois specific. Info should be in here, or will have numbers and emails for further info. Caregiver Support Program - Illinois.gov

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

Hi Dalia,

Completely understand about wanting to get paid. Many caregivers in your position have asked the same thing. Because of this, we've updated our most popular article on this topic HERE. Also, here is an article on how to afford an in-home care worker.

We also have a great care-guide on Dementia that you may find helpful. HERE.

Finally on this link, at the bottom, you can download a comprehensive guide on caring for your loved one HERE.

Please let me know if any of these links are beneficial for you.

Jen

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Anyone a Caregiver for parent in Illinois

Message 6 of 6

My mom is recently diagnosed with dementia.  I would like to be her day caregiver and am prepared to quit my job, or go down to part time hours.  I have read that I can get paid the standard rate.  If I could do it for free, trust me, I would.  I simply cannot afford to not get paid.  Is anyone in a similar situation?  Any advice?

Dalia K
Kudos
Views
Replies