AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Anticpatory Grief

Message 1 of 2

@SandyS653416 wrote:
If you are living with a a life-changing event about to take place in your life, or the life of a loved one directly impacting your life ~ experiencing anxiety knowing the event will happen, just don't know when! I'd like to hear from you, how you are coping with anticipatory grief, grief from anxiety about all of the unknowns likely taking place in the future...because I am struggling with anticipatory grief.

Hi Sandy,

I'm sorry you're going through anticipatory grief. When i knew my father was near death, one way i coped was to take care of what i could deal with each day so that i was less fearful. This was particularly true of practical matters. I'd say I loved him every time i left him. Towards the very end, my sister and i took turns spending the night in the nursing home room he was in (for 7 years). Our step mother took the day time visits so we could sleep and/or run around doing errands. 

All of the unknowns... that's a lot. Is there any way you could be a bit more specific? What i find is to write things down: what are the things i can do something about? And then the rest i just had to turn over to the other members of my family, and to God. Do the best i could, then forgive myself for imperfection.

I hope you find some comfort, and support as you go through all of this...

Jane

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Anticpatory Grief

Message 2 of 2
If you are living with a a life-changing event about to take place in your life, or the life of a loved one directly impacting your life ~ experiencing anxiety knowing the event will happen, just don't know when! I'd like to hear from you, how you are coping with anticipatory grief, grief from anxiety about all of the unknowns likely taking place in the future...because I am struggling with anticipatory grief.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors