Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Annual enrollment.

My mom thinks she can drop her supplemental medical, dental and drug coverage for 2019. I don’t think that’s the case. She has chronic, serious health conditions and all these commercials for plans and the Medicare plan book make it very confusing.  Help!

Kudos
Views
Replies
0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@brendaf187683 wrote:

My mom thinks she can drop her supplemental medical, dental and drug coverage for 2019. I don’t think that’s the case. She has chronic, serious health conditions and all these commercials for plans and the Medicare plan book make it very confusing.  Help!

Hi @brendaf187683 Welcome to the community. Here's a great link we put together on understanding all things Medicare. Hope it helps! 

Keep us posted and let us know how you handled the situation. 

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@brendaf187683

You might also review this AARP Resourse on picking a Medicare plan and open enrollment going on now.

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Health/What-are-some-good-resources-for-deciding-on-a-Medicare-plan/ta...

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Honored Social Butterfly

@brendaf187683 wrote:

She ( most likely with you) should go see a licensed Medicare insurance broker or. Speakers to a knowledgeable S.H.I.P. (State Health Insurance Program) representative at her state 's Dept of insurance.

In a VERY BRIEF Nutshell - 

Your mother has a choice of getting her Medicare benefits via Traditional Medicare OR a Medicare Advantage plan.

There are pluses and minus for each but it should be a choice of the beneficiary as to which could serve their needs and pocketbook the best.

You can change Medicare Advantage plans and Prescription Drug Plans every year during open enrollment.

Many time a Medicare Advantage plan has the (PDP) built into it - so when she is deciding on a Medicare Advantage plan, she is not just looking for extra benefits like dental and vision.  She should instead look to make sure her doctor and health providers are in-network.  She should also make sure her medications are listed and then do an analysis of the cost -'all the cost.

If she wants to go back to Traditional Medicare but most likely without a Medigap plan and she would also have to buy a PDP or pay a premium surcharge for not having one if she decides to get one later on.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP