From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Message 911 of 1,088

While caring for my neighbor with parkinsons, we would have lunch outside if the weather was good.  Just being outside in nature seemed to brighten her day.  I'd make special sandwiches and tea. It was stress free, close to a bathroom or her room if she needed to rest.  Sometimes I'd read to her, paint her nails, or we would play music.  Her son added a fountain nearby and the sound of the water was heavenly.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Online Community Caregiving Summer Travel Contest 2018

Message 912 of 1,088

Your post is heartwarming. Too many times the wheelchair bound do not have access to areas that others do. That you would go the extra mile to make sure that your loved one could still be apart of your vacation is an inspiration and a lesson that should be learned by all who bear the challenge of having a loved one who is mobility challenged. Thank you for posting this. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 913 of 1,088

No travel plans. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 914 of 1,088

Being a caregiver can be both rewarding and stressful at the same time. I prefer to stay positive and appreciate that I’m able to help 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 915 of 1,088

took Mom to visit family in Texas. We all had a great tim enjoying the sun!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 916 of 1,088

It would be nice to take a beach vacation but finding beaches with ramps for wheelchairs is difficult so we just stay home and make our own memories in the back yard.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 917 of 1,088

I have to take care of my sister who happens to be my twin

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 918 of 1,088

Hello my name is Vickie I'm caregiver to my mom Dorothy who is 82 in 2007 she was diagnosed with short term memory because of her thyroid condition which caused her to have unbalance memory and with medication she just never reverted back to how she was prior to this condition.  Since that time until now has been a completely new chapter and journey she has Dementia. The aggression and the day to day is unexplainable .  I now monitor behavior, moods, all discomfort, sleeping , breathing, eating you name I'm doing it and each day is different yet I have programs and activities for her trying to see what is a good fit is my focus now and wanting to keep her safe and secure.  This is round the clock and if you see me you see her.  I feel isolated from the world but I'd rather look in my mothers eyes every day and try to imagine what she feel  with her illness cause sometimes I just try to understand and I can't why this illness is here.  Staying stronge for my mom cause she would do it for me.  She is my air I breath.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 919 of 1,088

I am caring for my husband who has spinal cancer for the last year. It is heartbreaking for me. My only break is thinking of him as he was and hope he will be again

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 920 of 1,088

@ZachM856884  Wow that's is great!!  Can you tell me more about how you gained points for your trip?  Would love for others to read too!

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season