Looking for a part-time job? AARP's online career fair Jan. 24 can help! Register for free.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Message 81 of 1,085

I am a caregiver for my grandmother who has Alzheimers.  My grandmother has always wanted to see the ocean but was never able to. This year we are planning on take her to the ocean as we have noticed her alzheimers is getting worse and may not be able to get around as well in the future. We have everything planned out and are excited to take her in a few weeks. This has been a little overwhelming to plan but we have ironed out all of the details and things have all come together.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 1,085

Our daughter, who is paralyzed and medically fragile, always traveled with us during our younger years. As we grew older it became more and more difficult to care for her away from home. We then began having her take a week or two at a respite center while we either took a trip or needed break. Recently, at age 56 when we could no longer lift her, she moved into a long term care center. It is important to seek whatever alternatives are available. Caregivers need respite too!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

caregiving

Message 83 of 1,085

I havent thought about a break/vacation, but if was able to i want to take my youngest kids 4 &6 to Disney World. the lady i help can ride the rides with us just can not wals all the way. She's never been and its on her bucket list.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 1,085

Caregiving is hard. It hurts but it's worth it to care for the person who raised you

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 1,085

Occupied sign? Where are you traveling that doesn't have door locks?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 1,085

Honestly, this summer we had to forfeit our summer trip in order to be able to afford something big we are working on.  Instead, we took many mini "staycations" and explored the city's offerings on days when it wasn't too hot or crowded.  Sometimes you don't have to travel miles away to escape.  I hope you all had a fun and safe summer, I will you a wonderfull Fall.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 1,085
A vacation that takes that much prep and accommodation may seem very daunting, but it's so worth it in the end. The look on your loved ones face and the memories you carry with you forever. And knowing you did everything to make them have a super time is very rewarding.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 1,085

This summer has been about bringing my father in law back to his birthplace and summer home.  He is 92 years old and was born in the country of Lebanon.  It was not easy to get here.  It takes 2 flights and at least 16 hours of flying time to get here from NJ.  We brought him here for the summer and it has been a bittersweet trip.  He has been sharing his memories of his childhood but is having a tough time because all his friends are gone.  But it is good as a family to be here all together. My sisters in law are here. My son and several nieces and nephews and their families are here. We have from my father in law to the 6 month old great grandson here in the old homestead.  We have been playing cards and having big lunches and dinners together.  Good memories to share from the old generations to the new.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 1,085

My grandpa used to be the most active and outgoing person I knew. He taught tumbling, had his own business and everything. He would act and sing and was always open to trying new things. That's when money became a problem. He trusted a guy with his money and buinsess that he never should have trusted. Eventually he lost most of his money and it made him depressed. He argued a lot with my grandma and eventually they decided to separate. This didn't help with his depression and he slowly started to change. He became more distant and less dependant on himself and more on others. He started to lay in bed all day and take medicine more than he should. His new wife did her best to take care of him but it became too much. That is when it was decided he should be put in a living home. They didn't take very good care of him there and he ended up going to the hospital for sepsis. My dad had had enough and brought him to live with us. It was amazing to see how much patience my mom had with taking care of my grandpa. My dad also was so selfless in letting is dad stay with us. None of his other siblings rarely offered to take care of him or come see him. I remember taking care of my grandfather was well. It was hard to see him lose his memories and not recognize my younger siblings. It was hard and eventually it got too hard, especially when his mom passed, he shut down and so did his body.  I miss my grandpa everyday but I know he is in a better place. My parents were amazing.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 1,085

Hi. Am 60 and live with my daughter, son in law 12 yr old gradaughter and two 5 year old twin boys. I am the 1 who needs the break. I love and adore the kids but I see them and babysit them 5 days a week. Money is limited and I don't drive or have many friends. What can I do?

Kudos
Views