Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Summertime often means taking breaks and planning vacations. Both of these can be a bit tricky while caring for a loved one.  Have you traveled with your loved one recently or are you planning to?  

Share your experience here and you will be entered in our Caregiving Summer Contest 2018 and could win one of the weekly $100 gift cards or a chance for the overall winning prize of $500 gift card. Your story may be advice or inspirational!

Review rules here:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/Caregiving/AARP-Caregiving-Summer-Break-Contest-2018/m-p/2023713#M67

AARPTeri

OKay

Contributor

I hope this is the right pplace to post this. Hi, I'm Tiffani and when I took care of a man who was like a grandfather to me, I discovered the many problems you come across when you take what used to be a simple trip. He was an avid jazz fan, and we really wanted to go to a festival at the beach. He was in a motorized chair, unable to stand and he was a very tall, large man. Making sure there was transportation was difficult, we had made an appointment with a local bus previously that fell through, and it's not cheap privately. Sand with a motorized chair is just impossible. He could only be out for a limited time, bathroom trips in public restrooms were so hard, I had to call in as a female to make sure I could maneuver into a stall and assist him. There were medications, crowd navigation with a bulky chair...but you know what? This was a man I loved dearly and respected, who had served his country, taught children, and brought such light into my life. He had decades of experience behind him, taught me to love jazz, and no matter what the difficulties, this was something we could share. You bring a huge bag of supplies, whether it's sunscreen, medication, adult diapers, and you try to be prepared. Then you sit back, smile at your dear one, enjoy great music and the time you have with him in this world because it doesn't last. Not interested in the contest, thanks for letting me remember a great day.

We took mom to the beach this year but had to change accommodations to be sure there was a ramp and we rented a beach wheelchair to help get her to the beach.  I had to explain to my kids, that I know its hard because grandma is not her old self but we should spend time with her while we can.  I have such fond memories of this vacation even if there were some challenges!

Contributor

Just trying to save up enough money for a vacation. It is not easy.

Contributor

I like playing cards with my patients when we are taking a break.

i'm really new to this and it's difffferent im really stepping out my confort zone with this.But i know this will be a great experience.

Contributor

hi..we take my mom to the beach with us and it works out fine...we just make a few special arrangements and make sure she has someon wiht her round the clock

Contributor

This summer Imwas blessed to take my parents to Sarasota Florida so,my mom could see her three sisters that she has not seen in over five years.  This trip was a gift for both of their birthdays.  We boarded a plane and headed to Florida.  Arrived in Tampa and drove to Sarasota. Boy, were we surprised upon arriving at the house we had rented.  We walked into the house and the back door was wide open! Not what we were,expecting.  The first day we relaxed.

The following day we went to visit my aunt that lives in a long term care facility.  I know it was hard for my mom to see her youngest sister in that setting.  We had a great visit and we were able to meet up with my other two aunts also.  Just knowing how happy my mom was and how,grateful both of my parents were, blessed me beyond belief.  I am one of the few that have parents that have been married for 44 years.  

I am Caitlyn and my family and I love to have away from home vacations even tho we may not always have the money to do so. But family time anywhere is the best 

i have to take care of aunt, take care of all doctor appts, no one helps me and i have no break, it makes us very sad

Hi I'm Andrea a care giver to my 93 year old grandmother Josefina. She has alzheimers and needs someone with her all day, my daughter helps while I am at work and my husband tries to also fill gaps so that she always has someone there to take care of her. 

My escape from the everyday isn't escape but a change of scenery, we try to vacation as often as we can and take her with us because we have to time to care for her as we experience somewhere new 

When i need a break I go to the park with some lunch or read a book.It just relaxes me a lot and recharges my batteries

Wow

Enjoy taking care of

my

mom everyday she brings me joy

Contributor

We often have taken my mother on vacation.   Her memory is bad so she doesn't always remember a lot about it, but we'll have to memories to keep. 

I am sorry for anyone who has posted on this topic who is going through things. Im sorry for your losses, and I hope you over come anything youre going through.

Contributor

Hi

Contributor

I  like to spend time with family and relax.  It is simple but works.

I hope you all feel better.

I take care of my grandmother on my father's side. She's had 6 stokes over the past 15 years, but with patience, support, dedication, and love, she's regained her ability to read, walk, write, and speak everytime. She has such a resilient spirit. I love and admire her so much!

My story may not be able to help, but i'll be glad if you gained anything from it. 🙂

Last year, my grandmother put her foot down, demanding the family go out, go somewhere new, go explore. We hadn't been on an actual vacations for years, simply because it was inconvenient with my grandmother being at so many risks, 24/7. My family, of course, was doubtful at first -- they didn't want to leave our grandmother with someone else. So, I started looking into ways we could actually bring her with us, especially since her time is so limited. So I messaged around for an electric wheelchair, and different ways to store her medications. 

i go fishing

I take care of my grandmother on my father's side. She's had 6 stokes over the past 15 years, but with patience, support, dedication, and love, she's regained her ability to read, walk, write, and speak everytime. She has such a resilient spirit. I love and admire her so much!

My breaks are small.  I enjoy a weekly trip to the public library.  Reading, listening to music, or the occasional movie night are a real treat.

honestly i was just looking around being nosey and then i found ASSRP im like oh I NEED THEM

Taking my Dad and his Wife out to eat. After she had a stroke I helped them both fixing meals and taking them shopping and their daily needs. It's hard when you are by yourself and sometimes having to use two wheelchairs because at time nither could walk very far.

Hello, my name is Abdifatah Nassir, and I am 68 years old. I currently care for my wife, age 69, who struggles with Alzheimer's. Recently I traveled to Cancun with her, and we had quite the time. To me, she represents how strong a human can be, as admist her troubles, she finds a way to enjoy life and be optimistic, a symbol of true persevearance.

I Take care of my grandmother. I take a break with books. She likes to read too. So when I Find one that Is good I read it to her.

Contributor

My dad had a stroke about five years ago, and he was so bummed that he would miss the family vacations. Well we all got together and got him a beach chair with the big wheels, he loved it so much that he had a grin on his face the whole day. he was bouncing in the water and having the grandkids push him all around the beach. That was the best vaction of the family

My father has had failing eyesight and knee problems for a while now, and thankfully my mother has been able to take care of him for the daily necessities. However, there are times that I've had to make special trips to their place to maintain their house, especially with a recent slew of hurricanes these last few years. Despite all the physical inconveniences, I think the most important support I can give him is the companionship and warmth of loved ones so he knows there's always someone there for him.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP