Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Summertime often means taking breaks and planning vacations. Both of these can be a bit tricky while caring for a loved one.  Have you traveled with your loved one recently or are you planning to?  

Share your experience here and you will be entered in our Caregiving Summer Contest 2018 and could win one of the weekly $100 gift cards or a chance for the overall winning prize of $500 gift card. Your story may be advice or inspirational!

Review rules here:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/Caregiving/AARP-Caregiving-Summer-Break-Contest-2018/m-p/2023713#M67

AARPTeri

Spend quality time with my lovely grand children.

I take a break by going to work.

The following user says thank you for your help and support and encouragement and support you in advance for your help and advice on how to get some more information please contact me if you have any questions or concerns about the possibility of working with a fever

It's nice to just get away.  I like to go out to eat with my husband and go to a movie.  It is good to get away from it all if only for a few hours.  It helps me keep my sanity. 

Just chilling by the pool with the grandkids are the best way to spend summer time

Kudos
Views

My father has dementia and is now in a home because he was getting too dangerous, especially when I have a young daughter. When he was living with me and I was caring for him, I couldn't really leave him alone much. Going on a vacation was not in the cards. He slept a lot, so that is when I got my breaks. I used those breaks to play video games, take my daughter shopping or to the movies, and I had even gotten a gym membership where I went 3 times a week. 

We have learned over the years to make the call and write down your contacts name, to every all companies you will be using (Air line, Hotel/motel, rental car, etc.), and insure that they have available the product or services needed.  We just completed a trip to Disney with our extended family we all had a great time and the expatation we had were exceeded.

Contributor

I'm only 47 and I already feel like my memory is going . It's a scary thing, especially since I never had children. 

Summertime summertime , Spend it with joy and laughter with your family, As time is moving its been less as i get older but i can only reminisce of the good times

life should be enjoyable 

BEST vacation was on the beach with my mom, she had a great time and I miss her. 

Kudos
Views

My favorite summer breaks involved taking my mom to the spa for day of pampering.  Calling ahead and making necessary arrangements is highly recommended, but we enjoy relaxing away from the house for a brief escape.

My husband and I are finally getting a vacation away from home after three years of no vacations in order to relocate closer to my mom with dementia. I filled her mediplanner up for the whole week, took her to her medical appointment and my niece is on call if she needs anything. Going to Best Friends Animal Society in Utah to volunteer. The animals will boost our spirits and make us smile!

I like to fix dinners for the week and pack everything up and deliver them so the folks have their easy prep meals each day.

Contributor

we like to get in the car, head to our closest city to spend the day. this can involve going to the movies, window shopping at the mall, or just people watching. we always end the day at our favorite restaurant. to me the key is to get out of the house, even if just for a short walk or sitting on the deck sipping coffee watching the sunset.

Summer time for me means relaxing on the beach with family.

Taking a break for me means staying home with my kids and my aging parents. I often plan outings where we are not to far from home. On occasion we go to on longer trips but they are so well planned that I am often exhausted by the time they roll around. So i plan as much as I can with the notion that something or many things are going to go wrong. 

Contributor

testing if works

taking a break for me means pouring myself a big glass of good old fashioned Kool-Aid and sunbathing topless in my backyard!

Unfortunately I was not able to take that last vacation with my mother as planned before she passed but the time I was able to spend with her was priceless. But, I still have many great memories of vacations as a family!

Just recently took mom (99 and fiesty, if a bit easily winded), my middle son and wife, and their eldest daughter, her huband and their eight week old to lunch, near mom's home. Five generations at one table, it was such an amazing blessing. The sweetest waitress took the camera (okay, my daugher-in-law's phone) from my daughter-in-law to ake sure everyone was in the photo. My mother and the baby each have tongues stuck out at the camera. 🙂

My favorite break involved seeing the Yankees game with my grandson. Thankfully they won but it was a darn close game!

my favorite memory was when we went on a long walk by the beach and made smores

I love taking people who i work with (those with Special needs) to places. It can be tough and challenging, but all the accomodations are worth it in the end.

planned a super dooper with my mama  

Kudos
Views

I am the sol caregiver for my grandparents and i wouldn’t have i t any other way they have 5 children plus 5 grandchildren and it hurts to see how much no one cares so i love being able to take care of emc

Contributor

Hello everyone,  I'm 30 and a caregiver for my 70 year old Mom who I love with all of my being. Since the passing of my Dad everything change and I couldn't leave my Mom all alone. Even though I work almost everyday of the week I try my best to put a smile on mother's face. A vacation? Never had one but soundd great not for me but my mother sure does. My parents inspired me to the best human in this life and I hope can pass that a family of my own one day. Thank you and be strong everyone.

It's the small things that help when you need a break. Some time away, a haircut, a lunch out with friends, a night at the movies. A few hours help a lot!

I recently travelled to Alaska on a cruise with my mother last month. She lives with me and I take care of her full-time, which is enjoyable and also frustrating at times because she is suffering from moderate alzheimers disease. We had an amazing time on the cruise and she had a blast! I daughter wasn't too impressed with the weather, she wanted to go to Jamaica instead. Lol maybe next year!

Contributor

I am having 4 kids and there age group is 6,4,2, and 0. I like to give them special treatment on weekends as they are the little fairy tales of my life coming true as i have found myself growing up. I take them to toy stores, movie theaters and parks as well making them  as HAPPY as i could.  I try to make their favourite dishes the whole week too experimenting some with their help making lively and lovely moments .

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP