From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Message 151 of 1,088

When traveling with my grandparents in summer, we always had a place planned that hosted other seniors. They like these place best.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 152 of 1,088

We took an idea we saw on the Young and the Restless and had Nanna answer questions and tell stories while recording her. Each family member would ask something and she'd tell them a story partaining to them or their parents. Then we put on like a small movie theatre gathering and showed the film to the close family members who asked the questions. I think it helped give Nanna a moment of clarrity from her alzheimers.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 153 of 1,088

To put it in simplest terms, my mom has been there for everything and is awesome.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 154 of 1,088

I loved planning trips with my grandma. I was her power of attorney and loved it. Taking care of her was a joy! I made sure on every drivingh trip that I would stop often for her to use the bathroom. I bought her favorite snacks for the ride. When we got home, I did all her laundry from the trip and delivered it to her nursing home room so she could have Downy fresh clothes. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 155 of 1,088

About 6 months ago i lost my mother and it still have not goting over it i miss here so much we used to do alot of happy things together i know she is in a better place i just miss seeing her she was the best mother in the whole worldSmiley Sad

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 156 of 1,088

Summer means travel, but when you don't have any money - you can't travel far.  So i walk to the end of the block and back.  Thats all.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 157 of 1,088

It's important to have your tribe when doing activites/going places. It's nice to have the rest of the family there for support and it just makes everything easier and more fun!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 158 of 1,088

My name is Anna. I was once a caregiver to this old man who pooped all over himself all day. Disgusting. I quit. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 159 of 1,088
WEEK 5 WINNING POST

Hi, I'm a care take of my dad. He has a rare muscle disease called Inclusion Body Myositis. Our breaks away from home are taking him to Golden Corral where he can just sit and stuff his face! We also take a trip to the beach in early fall. His health has gone down a bit more this year, so I have added some new plans. I'm renting a golf cart so I can keep his wheelchair packed on it, along with some fishing gear. We plan on heading out to the pier every day to see if anything is biting. I also bought a huge umbrella to keep him under...c'mon Sept 28, get here already!

Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 160 of 1,088

My mother always loved roadtrips. While growing up we took roadtrips every summer to visit relatives in Michigan and go to the great lakes and camp. After Dad died, we moved Mom two doors down from me in a tiny house. It was just right for her tiny four foot ten size.

In the summer she would sit on the porch and we would talk. She loved the neighborhood and her porch, but I could tell she missed taking roadtrips. She had continued to do so with my father after we were all grown, and since he passed away she had not been able to go anywhere except to the doctor or the store. She was on a walker and had oxygen now, so it was difficult.

I had some time off that last summer before she died, so I decided to see if she wanted to take a roadtrip. She was so excited! Since I am a nurse, I knew I could handle things if she got sick, and this made he more confident to travel. Her only request- to take my neice along since she wanted her to experience the fun too.

So my son, my neice, and Mom and I all went to Niagara Falls. The weather was perfect. It was amazing. I had not seen my mother so happy in a long time. She could not walk very far, but she sat and enjoyed the scenery while I showed the kids around. I took lots of pictures.

It was my mom's last roadtrip, but it was one of the best. I will always treasure that memory. Just all of us together having fun, taking a break from bills and doctors and worries. It was perfect.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season