Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Message 21 of 1,088

Getting away with a loved one is always a special time even if your their caregiver. Just remember patience it's not always easy but time is so short and every day could be the last. Cherish every memory even if it's hard getting the accommodations for the trips is well worth it. I cherish every moment with my mother in law. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 1,088

We are planning to go to the Redwoods before summer ends. Some people in my family have difficulty walking/hiking so we plan to take in the sight seeing slowly and enjoy every step of the way that we have together. Can't wait to take photos~!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 1,088

Every summer we take my mom up to New Hampishere where she grew up.  She still has a friend up there and we make sure she visits there.  When we go it take more time because we have to stop every hour so she can get out of the car and walk around because of all her arthitis.  We also make sure everyone goes to the bathroom.

While up in New hampishere we stay in a cabin and take all our food and we have a kitchen, so we can eat in because she gets tired easily.  We do a activity every other day and then take a day off and it helps that we don't have to go out to eat all the time.  I precook everything and just heat up when we get there.  We usually stay a week and it is nice and relaxiing.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 1,088

My wife and I coordinate with two of her siblings so we can take a break with peace of mind for the care of her father. Although there is a grandson whom also live there, caregiving is a 24/7 job so one sister-in-law oversee the care during the week and one brother-in-law take over for the weekend. My wife for years make sure there are two filled pill box containers at the house at all times. She also have two filled pill boxes at our home so if anything was to happen to us, family would be able to come to our home and get the reserve pill boxes so Dad would still have continuity of his medications. She also text all the siblings to make sure everyone is aware of Dad's needs during the time we are gone. I hope this help someone but pre-planning ahead of times for the unexpected is our key for taking time out for ourselves without the guilt.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 1,088

we went to ocean city, maryland.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 1,088

Taking care of my mother was not the easiest task.  She had a lot of problems breathing so planning for her oxygen and how she was going to get around was very important.  It took planning and attention, but in the end, really, thats whats important.  She wanted to spend time with us and she wanted to be included so that was what we did.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 1,088

Therapy can hellp. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 1,088

Me and my husband had to retire early due to some health issues. We also care for our special needs Grandson Anthony. Due to our early retirement we live on a tight budget and it also forced us to move from our beloved city New Orleans to Alabama where my husband is from. Anthony had always wanted to go to the beach. With the right budget we have to live by and no help at all from Mom or Dad, we haven't been able to fulfill his dream of the beach and collecting seashells. Maybe we will win a little something in this contest so we can fulfill a wonderful little boys dream. If not, no matter what we will get Anthony to that beach no matter what it takes. We will do without our medicine and other things to fulfill our promise to him.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 1,088

My husband and I care for his 86 year old father.  We have been doing this for over four years now since my mother-in-law passed away.  My father-in-law still lives in his own home, but we are only 10 minutes away.  He was diagnosed with Alzheimers shortly after his wife passed.  Every other day we go to his house to clean, take him to the bank and the grocery store (he can only use the microwave as he has forgotten how to use the stove or oven) and then out to eat.  We also bring him to our house once or twice a week for a home cooked meal.  Our 23 year old son also lives with us and is a single parent to our 1 1/2 year old grandson. So we not only have my father-in-law to care for, but we also have our grandson while our son works.  Some days are extremely hectic with a screaming baby at the grocery store and also having to look out for my father-in-law so that he doesn't mow people down with his motorized shopping cart.  Or it may be at the restaurant where the baby is screaming and throwing food while my father-in-law keeps asking if he ordered yet, and if so, what did he order.  We patiently listen to the same stories over and over again, acting as if it's the first time we've heard it. Sometimes it can be annoying, other times it just feels sad.  Keeping two homes clean and managing doctor appointments for both my father-in-law and the baby is a lot of work. Not to mention paying his bills and worrying because he tells every telemarketer that he's 86 and lives alone.  And since we also call him every night to make sure he's OK, at least once or twice a month my husband had to make the trip to his house because the phone has been left off the hook but we are imagining that he has fallen and only made it to the phone but could not call.  It's constant stress. So we have decided to make our lives even more hectic.  We live in Wisconsin, but my father-in-law was born in Olean, NY.  He begged us, saying it is his dying wish to go back to Olean and see what it is like.  So next week, we are boarding a plane with my father-in-law and flying to Buffalo then renting a car to drive him to Olean.  An entire week with every waking and sleeping hour with my father-in-law.  Ever since we purchased the non-refundable plane tickets, we have wondered how we are going to survive this trip.  But we will survive and we will have given an old man his dying wish.  He is so excited.  He's been looking at his high school year book to see who he can look up when he gets there.  He says he just hopes the hotel will have a phone book!  Even though we have told him at least 50 times that we are leaviing on the 23rd, and even though I have circled the date on his calendar with a red sharpie, every night when we call he asks "Are we leaving tomorrow?"  He has even said that it would be funny if he died in Olean since he was born there, and to be honest, that is a concern.  Are we doing the right thing?  Is this trip going to make him worse somehow?  But we are going because when you love someone, how can you deny them their last wish?  I'm fortunate enough to be retired now.  I can help both my father-in-law and my grandson.  And just for fun, on our way back to the Buffalo airport, we are spending the day at Niagra Falls.  Here's hoping that everything goes well for all of us!  

Lisa Garr

lgarr99@aol.com

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 1,088

I could really use a break as well.  My husband has been struggling with health issues from a broken femur, to being diagnosed with black lung  over the past 5 years.  He has been in and out of the hospital many times.  I am all alone in caring for him.  he is the love of my life, but sometimes I feel so busy that I forget that I am even a human.  

Kudos
Views