Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Summertime often means taking breaks and planning vacations. Both of these can be a bit tricky while caring for a loved one.  Have you traveled with your loved one recently or are you planning to?  

Share your experience here and you will be entered in our Caregiving Summer Contest 2018 and could win one of the weekly $100 gift cards or a chance for the overall winning prize of $500 gift card. Your story may be advice or inspirational!

Review rules here:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/Caregiving/AARP-Caregiving-Summer-Break-Contest-2018/m-p/2023713#M67

AARPTeri

AGREED

What I love doing for the summer, is being with family.. I love doing this because  family is everything to me, minus everyone flaws.. I would love to win this contest because i would like to give back to people who gave to me along my life.

AARP Expert

@ChrisB802081 Hi Chris - I can identify so closely with what you said about sacrificing time to be with your mom. I cared for my grandparents in my 20's and missed many activities people my age were doing so I could drive 6 /12 hours on the weekends to care for them. I've spent the past 10+ years caring for my parents, my Mom died 4 yrs ago and my Dad less than 2 months ago. Countless times I thought the same thing you did - I gave up doing things but knowing that some day they would be gone and I would miss caring for them - being with them - so much. Now I can honestly testify that it was true. I'd give anything for more time with them.

So enjoy every moment and try to do things to fill your own tank while you're spending time with your Mom. Sometimes I would consider an outing to the store, a drive-thru lemonade from Starbucks, just a drive in the car a little "mini-vacation" for us. Anything that fills our tank a bit so we can keep going! 

That said, I did still take time when I could to be with my boyfriend and friends or other family members. It's important not to break all other ties. As you say, caregiving can be so isolating. 

I hope you get a break - and I'm so glad you found our community! Please keep in touch. Even in moments when it's just you and your Mom and you feel lonely - reach out. Someone is listening. 

Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert

Author, Juggling Life, Work and Caregiving and

Color Your Way Content When Caring for Loved Ones

its great that children get to spend time with an older generation even though they may not be doing active things like they may like.

You sound very dutiful.  I understand about feeling like being in the car is a vacation.

My favorite summer breaks involved taking my dad to a car meet because of how much he loves his vehicles 

Traveling when you are a caregiver requires alot of planning and trust. You have to plan appointments ahead, medication, food, etc. You also have to have someone you trust to take care of loved one. 

Do things you both enjoy.

i fish alot

Regular Contributor

I am a deaf 59 year old and have a 40 year old son with Cerebral Palsy. I also have Meniere's disease which causes vertigo, so I can never trust my ability to drive as it can change in a second. I have two options for taking a vacation. I can have a friend go with me to drive if I cannot or I can take a charter bus as my son will not fly or ride on a train due to recent major mishaps with both. Because we are both disabled, any vacation we take has to be very affordable and not long in duration. Most often we do day trips when a friend is available to go. If we do go long distance, it is usually to visit family or friends who can accommodate us, and we save on hotel bills & food bills also with that option.
Sandi Burkhart
Contributor

I just thought it was me until I learned of AARP awareness and resources I was going crazy.  The only programs I like for my mom is at the Alzheimer's Association in my area.  The resources are very helpful and has made me so much more aware.  Adult day care under Oasis in Santa Monica was an option but for one month is was so costly last year until I couldn't continue to take her but I did have a chance to breath and focus on business .  Now Im going to revisit adult day care and budget plan for her to attend at least 4 days out the month because I'm not doing any selfcare.

Contributor

I care for my mother who has short term memory loss after being in a coma for 2 months from and asthma attack. It is very hard sometimes on myself and my family, but we always remind ourselves how grateful we are to still have her with us.

My favorite summer breaks involved taking my mom to the spa for day of pampering like massages and getting her nails done.  Calling ahead and making necessary arrangements is what I recommend, but we enjoy relaxing away from the house for a brief escape too.

IKR

Kudos
Views

Alzheimer’s cate is especially hard. I’m thinking of you and your family during this difficult time.

'

Man its been years since my mom and dad died so ive been taking care of my grandparents for 6 years and being 19 its really hard considering i had to drop out of high school before freshmen year started but now they have a good home and good food to eat cause god has gifted me with so much in my life to take care of them! I love my grandparents cause they're still there with they're old wisdom they had many MANY years ago and they have they're old tricks to help me when i don't want it! I'm so glad i have them still!
Contributor

I moved across the country to a small town in the mountains of New Mexico. I'm am empty better now that my the children are grown. My next door neighbor is a single gentleman who is 92 years young and lives alone. He's sweet and charming and needs company, to be checked on from time to time, as well as as help. I stop by daily and bring him some fresh eggs from my chickens. He's actually doing great for his age and bikes a few miles daily, but he has no family nearby and we've become an approve family for him. I bring over dinner and I try to make him food he will find yummy. A few times he's been ill and needed help going to the doctor, but for the most part it's really about just maintaining a human connection and looking out for your neighbors. He's been a blessing to me and I really cherish our friendship. 

Carolyn Shelden

Thank you for sharing

it's nice to be here and hear about all these stories

I enjoy taking the people i work with on trips.  We have to call ahead and make sure we can, but I know we can count on AARP to always help us with all our accomodations and needs.

I wish I had a story

Contributor

sweet!

What a kind and caring person you are. I need to look into resources like these. Thank you for the suggestions.

AARP Expert

My favorite summer breaks involved taking my mom to the spa for day of pampering.  Calling ahead and making necessary arrangements is highly recommended, but we enjoy relaxing away from the house for a brief escape.

We get together at Mom's place because it is just easier.  Too hard to tke her anywhere  

It’s very nice you can get out of the house with your Mom. But many of us can not take our moms out. My Mom would not leave the house the only place she felt safe was at home. And sometime not even there.  With Alzheimer’s there comes a time when they can’t remember where they are and the people around them are strangers even there family. And getting them bathed and dressed can take hours.  Convincing them to go out impossible. 

What a lovely idea!

Contributor

In my situation I don’t really get to take vacations but I do try to take a day off occasionally and do something I really enjoy doing. 

Carolyn Shelden

What a lovely idea for moms!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP