Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Summertime often means taking breaks and planning vacations. Both of these can be a bit tricky while caring for a loved one.  Have you traveled with your loved one recently or are you planning to?  

Share your experience here and you will be entered in our Caregiving Summer Contest 2018 and could win one of the weekly $100 gift cards or a chance for the overall winning prize of $500 gift card. Your story may be advice or inspirational!

Review rules here:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/Caregiving/AARP-Caregiving-Summer-Break-Contest-2018/m-p/2023713#M67

AARPTeri

I care for my mother and have no time for a vacation or to get away. 

My favortie times are taking my 70 year old dad to milwaukee Brewer games. It reminds me of going to games as a kid. Great times.  Baseball, good conversation. Tailgating before the game and having some ballpark food and drinks.  I treasure my momens with him,

Contributor

So many caring and loving people here. it makes the heart swell.

Hello, my name is Hunter I helped my mom Abagail who is 55 in 2013 she was diagnosed with diabetes.

Contributor

You are a wonderful daughter...

Hello my name is Vickie I'm caregiver to my mom Dorothy who is 82 in 2007 she was diagnosed with short term memory because of her thyroid condition which caused her to have unbalance memory and with medication she just never reverted back to how she was prior to this condition.  Since that time until now has been a completely new chapter and journey she has Dementia. The aggression and the day to day is unexplainable .  I now monitor behavior, moods, all discomfort, sleeping , breathing, eating you name I'm doing it and each day is different yet I have programs and activities for her trying to see what is a good fit is my focus now and wanting to keep her safe and secure.  This is round the clock and if you see me you see her.  I feel isolated from the world but I'd rather look in my mothers eyes every day and try to imagine what she feel  with her illness cause sometimes I just try to understand and I can't why this illness is here.  Staying stronge for my mom cause she would do it for me.  She is my air I breath.

thank you for caring.

Hi, my name is Lucille, I am  78 years old and TOTAL caregiver for my 90 year old husband Morty. My husband was diagnosed with Dementia, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s Five years ago. 

At that time we decided to move to the Country across from our Daughter.

It was a wise move. As the weeks go by I find it increasingly more challenging . 

THE AGRESSION  increases by the day, the demands, the constant questioning, I realize he feels lost, so to make our journey a little easier, I continually tell him how much we all love him and how special he is. I also take him for a surprise ride and eat out or just get an ice cream or his favorite Vanilla Milkshake. I kid around to make him laugh, he loves it!

We really enjoy our Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren’s visits, 22 of them,  such joy to our hearts. We enjoy watching the Birds and Squirrels from our back door.

we pray daily and know that our Lord keeps us and protects us as we journey through our last mile.

God Bless each of you!

Lucille Morton

Hi Caregivers!

I have been a caregiver for my sister for almsot two years. My sister was in a car accident in October of 2016 and currently disabled and can't use both her legs due to her knee caps being broke. The days also get hard for me because I have to take care of her 7 year old son who started first grade Monday August 13.

I hope one day my sister would be able to walk one day very soon. She seems now to want to get out of the bed she has to been in for close two years. I try to be there for her as much as i can.

Periodic Contributor

Stay strong!

I usually don’t write about things like this, but here we go! I have been taking care of my grandmother since I was 15 years old. I’m 48 now. For 33 years, I have sacrificed my teenage years, a lot of my adult years, and even my 30’s to make sure my grandmother was properly provided and cared for. I was the sole caregiver since everyone else decided to put themselves first. Maybe I was being too leniant towards my grandmother’s needs, but I knew that she wouldn’t have been in sustainable health if I didn’t give up on a lot of things. One day, my spouse told me to take a break from my responsibility of being a caregiver. I was a little reluctant, but I went ahead and took her advice. I consulted with my grandmother and informed her of a hiatus I was going to partake in, afraid she would need me during my absence. To my surprise, she gave me immediate approval to find my serenity for once in my life. I haven’t yet decided on what I will do for my break, but I Know I will think of something. My sole purpose was to vent, not necessarily participate in a contest. It feels good to finally acknowledge the time and effort I placed into my purpose as a caregiver. I know I will miss keeping tabs on my grandmother, but this is something I must do for the sake of everyone involved. 

I really appreciate my caregivr

I know i hope you feel better
Contributor

My favorite summer breaks involved taking my mom to the spa for day of pampering.  Calling ahead and making necessary arrangements is highly recommended, but we enjoy relaxing away from the house for a brief escape.

I feel really bad sorry for your pain

Contributor

My Grandpa went through similar stuff. My mom and I took care of him for years before he passed and the best advice I can give is Give your your best so he may have his best for the remaining days of his life. 

Contributor

Hi Caregiver Community,
In an effort to take a “mental break” from the constant bombardment of the same questions that were posed by my Aunt (continuously...God bless her) I wrote “her story” in a small booklet. Whenever, I needed a break, I would give her the booklet so she could read her story (with amazement and delight) that answered all of her routinely asked questions. My favorite part was when she would read that she was 90 years old. Each time (just like most of the women I know), she would deny that truth... “90 years old...that can’t be true” she would exclaim emphatically...I would laugh each and every time! Affording Auntie the opportunity to read her “book” both calmed and entertained her, giving me or other caregivers the mental break that was so needed from time to time. RIP, Auntie Ida!!
Contributor

My mother-in-law died at 90. I can relate.

Kudos
Views

Rite i fell ya

hello all

The older I get, the harder it is!

That booklet idea is awesome!

sounds good

Contributor

i love yall story

@ReneeH305958 wrote:
Hi Caregiver Community,
In an effort to take a “mental break” from the constant bombardment of the same questions that were posed by my Aunt (continuously...God bless her) I wrote “her story” in a small booklet. Whenever, I needed a break, I would give her the booklet so she could read her story (with amazement and delight) that answered all of her routinely asked questions. My favorite part was when she would read that she was 90 years old. Each time (just like most of the women I know), she would deny that truth... “90 years old...that can’t be true” she would exclaim emphatically...I would laugh each and every time! Affording Auntie the opportunity to read her “book” both calmed and entertained her, giving me or other caregivers the mental break that was so needed from time to time. RIP, Auntie Ida!!

awesome

Contributor

Nice to hear about all these. Thank you for sharing

NICE
Contributor

Hi everyone, here is my story and the reasons my husband really deserves a break.  I am 56 years old. Almost four years ago I was unable to breathe. I went to a pulmonary physician, I was told I had idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Put on oxygen and prednisone and within a month I was so weak and couldn’t get out of bed. My husband stayed home and took care of me. He learned to cook. He brought me and still does bring me breakfast in bed everyday.  He didn’t leave my side for two months straight. We saw so many doctors and was sent to Utah Hospital and to Arizona to see if I could get a lung transplant. My husband drove me to both places. I still didn’t know the reasons for my inability to breathe. In Utah I was given dapsone a d sent home and it nearly killed me. I was allergic to it. I saw a rheumatologist and he just flat out told me I was above his knowledge and understanding of what was one. After three years I was seen at Mayo Clinic in Rochester. And Finally a diagnosis I have mixed connective tissue disease and fibromyalgia. The mixed connective disease is attacking my lungs and I probably do not qualify for a lung transplant.  You must be wondering why does he husband need the break.  He has stayed beside me each step of the way. Cooking cleaning, washing clothes and most of all caring for me. He will get up in the middle of the night to help me walk to the restroom, or if my legs are weak that day he helps me, he brings me both breakfast and dinner to our bedroom. He will set my bath for me and make sure I have bubbles and Epson he holds my hand while I get infusions or rub my back when I feel really bad. He kisses me and makes sure that I know he will be here for me every step of the way. He is such a good man. We have been married 36 years and I know our love grows stronger every day.

Contributor

I was a care giver for my aunt for a good nmber of years before she passed. Not that I didnt love her and enjoy being there for a family member in need but I would need to take a break every now and again.  I would go on a solo overnight backpacking trip then get back to it the next day

Hey its Chris Ball again I was saying I never taken a vacation dont have the money and nobody to help with my mom after 6yrs of caring for her my vacation is in the car before i come in house. Im telling my story in hopes that you will take some time for yourself and I wouldn't trade the time with my mom for nothing. We have to be strong for our love ones. I hope with me finding about AARP that I will will get some me time. The hardest thing is not having someone to talk to. Thanks for listening. 

(post edited to remove personal information).

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP