Rethink your job search with the AARP job board. Find opportunities for experienced workers today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Message 481 of 1,088

I enjoyed giving my mom time at the theater in NYC. It was a nice break for her to get out and she really liked seeing the lights and sounds.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 482 of 1,088

I like to give my Mom a break by getting her a Manicure and a Pedicure.She loves them.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 483 of 1,088

I hope that I will be able to travel with my mom somewhere soon, even if it's local. It's difficult because she shattered her foot and had to get surgery and it's going to be about a year until she can really walk around. I also thought about doing a staycation where we watch movies and have a theme and try to bring the vacation into the house so she doesn't feel trapped and hopeless.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 484 of 1,088

"Travel is really about pre-planning when you are a caregiver responsible for someone else. It becomes not only about enjoying yourselves, for instance, bathrooms are important - stop often and carry an Occupied sign."

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 485 of 1,088

We adopted our granddaughter when she was 2 years old.  She is now 17.   She has made summer breaks a joy in that she has lead us on new adventures and kept us feeling young.  This is our last summer before she graduates from high school.  Where has the time gone?  We are off on an adventure soon; I can't wait to enjoy the laughter in the car as we take another road trip.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 486 of 1,088

I am a caretaker 

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 487 of 1,088

Self care is really important, whether it’s just going out for coffee or getting a night out. Be sure to think of yourself too. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 488 of 1,088

It's difficult for my 89 year-old dad to spend very much time away from home due to health issues. For this reason, he's hard to convince to get out of the house even for a day. On a beautiful (and rare for South Dakota) 70 degree "summer" afternoon in February, however, I was able to convince him to go for a ride to check out the countryside.

He's a retired farmer and loves to look at the fields, the farms, and the cattle (As an adorable sign of spring, there were a lot of cute little calves already!) - and just see what's going on in the farming community of which he has been a part all of his life. We drove around to most of his old haunts, including the farm where he was born and he grew up. This land is currently owned by my uncle, my dad's youngest brother, and includes the house built by my great-great-grandfather. We drove to a nearby town to see land he had farmed in the past, and then closer to home by the farm he has owned for over 40 years but now rents to a younger farmer.

We went by the farm once owned by my other uncle, his brother, who died suddenly of a heart attack decades ago at the age of 39. We went by the cemetery where we have a family plot in which are buried my grandparents, my previously mentioned uncle, my aunt who died about 30 years ago from complications of severe MS, my sister who died suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 54, and my mom who died of lung cancer. There's so much family history and that tiny piece of land!

We went by shelterbelts that my dad had planted decades ago, and one that he had planted more recently and was surrounded by several acres of prairie. It was great to see deer enjoying this land he had set aside as habitat for wildlife! What a legacy my Dad has created!

My dad really loved this little "mini vacation" and trip down memory lane - enjoyed entirely from the passenger seat of his beautiful new Suburban! For me, it was a really relaxing, educational, and much-needed "mini vacation" and trip through family history! And, a beautiful day that I will remember for the rest of my life!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 489 of 1,088

um, I don't really have a story, yet! But you just wait and see, it'll be a good one! 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 490 of 1,088

You sound so overwhelmed! Have you checked with your county social service agencies to see if there's any kind of respite care available to help with your mom? If she can't afford to pay for someone to help her, perhaps her income would allow her to qualify for assistance from the county. Good luck!

Kudos
Views