Learn how to use Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing services!  Register now for a free AARP webinar Nov. 18.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Message 701 of 1,088

Taking loved ones to all of their doctor appointments.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 702 of 1,088

I take a break by just taking a relaxing walk in the evenings. Even just 30 minutes helps me wind down and clear my head.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 703 of 1,088

Summer time means fun in the sun, vacations and lots of trips to the beach.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 704 of 1,088

Hello All,

I am the primary caregiver for an elderly man (78) who is an uncle to the man I was married to but I am now divorced.   He has no relatives in the area and I help out as much as I can.  I do his shopping, cleaning, and lots of cooking for him. I am trying to get him to become more proactive in his own care. I think he is depressed and it is hard to keep him motivated in self-care.  He is taking steps lately, though, in providing more care for himself.  It is exciting to see him look forward to his now daily walks!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 705 of 1,088

It can be difficult to travel when caring for a loved one - I find anxiety is high for both involved. Bringing it up can seem like a good way to prepare, but for me, it feels like it makes it worse so I usually bring it up with a lot of notice but don't continue to talk about it until closer to the trip itself. 

Keeping it simple in terms of what information also helps alleviate some of the anxiety, but mos helpful for me was accepting the help that was offered by friends and family. That has been the hardest but most beneficial tip I ever got. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 706 of 1,088

My Dad is 90 years o;,ld and suffers from a couple medical conditions.  He needs a lot of care so he lives with me, which makes taking care of him a full time job.  He is the best Dad so I feel honored to have this time with him.  When it's time for me to have a break, or him have a break, we go fishing!  All through my childhood, my Dad went fishing when he needed a break.  The pond we go to is quiet and peaceful and we get to talk and laugh together like we don't have a care in the world.  These times are memories I will always cherish.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 707 of 1,088

We traveled in May to my nieces graduation in Florida!  It wasnt so bad!  We took more frequent breaks to get out and walk.  I tried to find rest areas to stop at so we knew there would be paved paths and sidewalks to make it easier to walk around.  We packed coolers to bring the foods along that we all enjoy more than fast food.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 708 of 1,088

my husband and I try to take a break with a movie date once or twice a month. It is nice to spend time together and as movie buffs it is the perfect break!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Summer Vacation

Message 709 of 1,088

My 85 year old Mom loves visiting the National Parks. Last we visited Grand Teton and Yellowstone, this September we will travel to the 5 National Parks in Utah.  It's a wonderful getaway for us. Making memories .

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 710 of 1,088

No time for a vacation, so we find restoration in the national forest. A long walk through the woods soothes the weary soul.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season