Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Summertime often means taking breaks and planning vacations. Both of these can be a bit tricky while caring for a loved one.  Have you traveled with your loved one recently or are you planning to?  

Share your experience here and you will be entered in our Caregiving Summer Contest 2018 and could win one of the weekly $100 gift cards or a chance for the overall winning prize of $500 gift card. Your story may be advice or inspirational!

Review rules here:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/Caregiving/AARP-Caregiving-Summer-Break-Contest-2018/m-p/2023713#M67

AARPTeri

This is giving me hope.

Taking care of an artistic is not easy once you have the skills and paitence needed in order for the person to be fully independepent to take care of themselves. In addition it takes more than just job readiness is the experience needed to apply in the workplace. 

yes

hyyeheheyeye

Contributor

I will keep it simple during the summer I go to the local nursing homes and play my guitar for the smiles.  Oh my god, worth more to all parties involved than anyone could imagine.

Todd

This year was a rough year on the entire family after the lost of my youngest sister. Sometimes you have to take a step back and relax. I knew it wouldnt take away the hurt my mom was feeling but my siblings and I booked my mom a nice stay at an hotel with a spa here locally for an entire a week. It gave her and us a time to reflect on the good around us.

We have a great time going to the beach.

I take care of many people. But it is important to remember to take care of yourself.

Contributor

Planned a visit to disneyland with a family friend who had special needs.  It was amazing how on top of everything they were at the resort, and assisting us with getting on and off of rides and attractions. We had a fantastic time and it was so nice to escape life for a day and feel like a little kid.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Contributor

Thanks AARP couldnโ€™t ask for anything better you helped out so much. 

Contributor

Great stories. 

Contributor

I remember watching baseball games with my grandpa; he loved the SF Giants!

Contributor

Twelve years ago we became kinship oster parents to two of our grandchildren...within three years we had adopted them and started raising kids all over again. We have always dreamed of taking the kids to places like Disney World but on a retirement income and part time jobs it is all we can do to survive

It is extremely hard to get the time to take a vacation break while being a caregiver.  Taking care of my loved one is a full time job in itself while still trying to do my regular job.  There is not enough hours in the day to get everything done and not enough "me" to go around.  I would give anything for a break.

When my mother in law was diagnosed with breast cancer, our lives changed. We had to help her with everyday chores and go to many doctor visits. Being close with my mother in law, I grew even closer in learning about her life during this time. Once she had completed her surgery and chemo, we decided to go to the lake. SHe was a strong woman but the weakness she still had was evident. However, I remember her resilience and pleasure enjoying the grandkids on this outing. 

err

Contributor

My mom is caring for my step dad almost exclusively.  While family members try to come in from out of state to just give her a break, we have all found that just a change of scenery helps with the everyday tedium.  My mom loves to go to Estate sales, garage sales and the like.  She and I go at least one Saturday a month.  We have found some lovely things and having the time alone together is wonderful.  We stay up late and talk each evening when I am in town and it helps to just have the quiet evening together.  

Contributor

I've not travelled with an old family member.

Contributor

Hmm

Hi, 

When my grandfather had to move in my son and my husband had to build a ramp and make some changes to the bathroom to fit his wheel chair. The fond memories of seeing my husband, son , and grandfather having fun and bonding together was so amazing. To this day they still share stories of the successes and mishaps during the process.

When my wife graduated with her PhD we took her ailing father, who is wheelchair bound, with us to Washington D.C., where her graduation ceremonies were held. Dad never travelled beyond the boundaries of his ranch and the cattle sales, and never flown on a plane. 

He thoroughly enjoyed seeing the sights in our nation's capital and in the area around it. We took him to see the ocean off the coast of Delaware. I lost 20 lbs pushing his wheelchair up and holding it down Arlington Cemetary. While I didn't get to experience the sights as much, seeing how he enjoyed the experience made it all worth it.

Dad's still with us, but not in the best of health. We'll be forever grateful we were able to take him on that trip.

We always go camping in the mountains with my younger sister and both my parents, long, scenic drives up winding hills is something that i look forward to every year

I have experienced this and although it changes my life I still appreciate every moment I can spend 

Contributor

I'm not sure that I'm a caregiver exactly, but my mom has been needing more help with her memory, and I've become her reminder person. Did you take your meds, did you pay this bill/rent, did you do xyz? I'm also trying to explain more about technology and things and be more patient. This came into play on our trip to Canada recently where the differences in the way things work were a little puzzling to her at first, as they were to me. It's nice experiencing these things with her because they're memories I'll have forever. 

I plan to go to Europe and take the Mrs. Should be a grand time and we will look out for each other.

We have been taking care of my mother in law for 5 years now.  She has been totally bedridden for more than one year.  We kept telling ourself that we would go on vacation later, but she passed away last month, and now we don't want to go on vacation without her.

I work at a high school, but in the summer, I watch my grandchildren ages 7 and 9, and occasionally a 4 year old granddaughter

My dad passed away in 2015. After that, i moved in with my elderly mom to try to help her bounce back from the grief and to help take care of her. It was a very rewarding yet difficult summer

Recently my family and I traveled to San Fransico. It was all of our first time going and actually seeing the city with our eyes. We walked and I mean a lot. We saw people on the sidewalk dancing, singing, just doing all sorts of fun and crazy things. We even explored, such as going to the Museum of Ice Cream, Pier 45 I believe was the name. It was a little difficult to actually get to explore the city as we often had to take breaks because my mom couldn't handle it as much. Even though we did take many breaks, it was still cool to get to see and experience something new with my loved ones.

same thing my daughter cared for me
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP