From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Message 891 of 1,088

It is extremely hard to get the time to take a vacation break while being a caregiver.  Taking care of my loved one is a full time job in itself while still trying to do my regular job.  There is not enough hours in the day to get everything done and not enough "me" to go around.  I would give anything for a break.

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 892 of 1,088

When my mother in law was diagnosed with breast cancer, our lives changed. We had to help her with everyday chores and go to many doctor visits. Being close with my mother in law, I grew even closer in learning about her life during this time. Once she had completed her surgery and chemo, we decided to go to the lake. SHe was a strong woman but the weakness she still had was evident. However, I remember her resilience and pleasure enjoying the grandkids on this outing. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 893 of 1,088

err

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Online Community Caregiving Summer Travel Contest 2018

Message 894 of 1,088

wonderful

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 895 of 1,088

My mom is caring for my step dad almost exclusively.  While family members try to come in from out of state to just give her a break, we have all found that just a change of scenery helps with the everyday tedium.  My mom loves to go to Estate sales, garage sales and the like.  She and I go at least one Saturday a month.  We have found some lovely things and having the time alone together is wonderful.  We stay up late and talk each evening when I am in town and it helps to just have the quiet evening together.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 896 of 1,088

I've not travelled with an old family member.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 897 of 1,088

Hmm

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 898 of 1,088

Hi, 

When my grandfather had to move in my son and my husband had to build a ramp and make some changes to the bathroom to fit his wheel chair. The fond memories of seeing my husband, son , and grandfather having fun and bonding together was so amazing. To this day they still share stories of the successes and mishaps during the process.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 899 of 1,088

When my wife graduated with her PhD we took her ailing father, who is wheelchair bound, with us to Washington D.C., where her graduation ceremonies were held. Dad never travelled beyond the boundaries of his ranch and the cattle sales, and never flown on a plane. 

He thoroughly enjoyed seeing the sights in our nation's capital and in the area around it. We took him to see the ocean off the coast of Delaware. I lost 20 lbs pushing his wheelchair up and holding it down Arlington Cemetary. While I didn't get to experience the sights as much, seeing how he enjoyed the experience made it all worth it.

Dad's still with us, but not in the best of health. We'll be forever grateful we were able to take him on that trip.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 900 of 1,088

We always go camping in the mountains with my younger sister and both my parents, long, scenic drives up winding hills is something that i look forward to every year

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season