Rethink your job search with the AARP job board. Find opportunities for experienced workers today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Message 901 of 1,088

I have experienced this and although it changes my life I still appreciate every moment I can spend 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 902 of 1,088

I'm not sure that I'm a caregiver exactly, but my mom has been needing more help with her memory, and I've become her reminder person. Did you take your meds, did you pay this bill/rent, did you do xyz? I'm also trying to explain more about technology and things and be more patient. This came into play on our trip to Canada recently where the differences in the way things work were a little puzzling to her at first, as they were to me. It's nice experiencing these things with her because they're memories I'll have forever. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 903 of 1,088

I plan to go to Europe and take the Mrs. Should be a grand time and we will look out for each other.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 904 of 1,088

We have been taking care of my mother in law for 5 years now.  She has been totally bedridden for more than one year.  We kept telling ourself that we would go on vacation later, but she passed away last month, and now we don't want to go on vacation without her.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 905 of 1,088

I work at a high school, but in the summer, I watch my grandchildren ages 7 and 9, and occasionally a 4 year old granddaughter

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 906 of 1,088

My dad passed away in 2015. After that, i moved in with my elderly mom to try to help her bounce back from the grief and to help take care of her. It was a very rewarding yet difficult summer

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 907 of 1,088
I know i hope you feel better
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 908 of 1,088

Recently my family and I traveled to San Fransico. It was all of our first time going and actually seeing the city with our eyes. We walked and I mean a lot. We saw people on the sidewalk dancing, singing, just doing all sorts of fun and crazy things. We even explored, such as going to the Museum of Ice Cream, Pier 45 I believe was the name. It was a little difficult to actually get to explore the city as we often had to take breaks because my mom couldn't handle it as much. Even though we did take many breaks, it was still cool to get to see and experience something new with my loved ones.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 909 of 1,088
same thing my daughter cared for me
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 910 of 1,088

My favorite summer breaks involved taking my mom to the spa for day of pampering.  Calling ahead and making necessary arrangements is highly recommended, but we enjoy relaxing away from the house for a brief escape.

Kudos
Views