Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Summertime often means taking breaks and planning vacations. Both of these can be a bit tricky while caring for a loved one.  Have you traveled with your loved one recently or are you planning to?  

Share your experience here and you will be entered in our Caregiving Summer Contest 2018 and could win one of the weekly $100 gift cards or a chance for the overall winning prize of $500 gift card. Your story may be advice or inspirational!

Review rules here:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/Caregiving/AARP-Caregiving-Summer-Break-Contest-2018/m-p/2023713#M67

AARPTeri

While caring for my neighbor with parkinsons, we would have lunch outside if the weather was good.  Just being outside in nature seemed to brighten her day.  I'd make special sandwiches and tea. It was stress free, close to a bathroom or her room if she needed to rest.  Sometimes I'd read to her, paint her nails, or we would play music.  Her son added a fountain nearby and the sound of the water was heavenly.

No travel plans. 

Contributor

Being a caregiver can be both rewarding and stressful at the same time. I prefer to stay positive and appreciate that Iโ€™m able to help 

took Mom to visit family in Texas. We all had a great tim enjoying the sun!

Contributor

It would be nice to take a beach vacation but finding beaches with ramps for wheelchairs is difficult so we just stay home and make our own memories in the back yard.  

I have to take care of my sister who happens to be my twin

I am caring for my husband who has spinal cancer for the last year. It is heartbreaking for me. My only break is thinking of him as he was and hope he will be again

i was in costa rica and i erned it by using aarp and got some points and thanks to you you helped me so thanks and it was amazing
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ZachM856884  Wow that's is great!!  Can you tell me more about how you gained points for your trip?  Would love for others to read too!

AARPTeri
Contributor

wow!

Contributor

We are renting a wheelchair van for the first time since I have been unable to transfer into a regular car.  I rarely leave the house now so it will be interesting to see how it works out making plans and going places.  It's super expensive to rent a van, so even if it's great fun, won't happen often.  My wife will be doing most of the work, I'm hoping the van isn't too much for her.

Contributor

It's important to plan ahead when traveling as a caregiver! Make sure to have emergency contact info and lists of prescriptions handy in case something is lost or misplaced along the way.

Regular Contributor

Summer time vacation is great ! Since I care for my daugther who is a second time cancer survivor.  The daily calls and texts are constant so I can make sure she is feeling and doing ok. Some days are better than others. The key is to stay positive with prayer always hoping for the best outcome. We would like to take a mini vacation to San Antonio; however funds are limited so my daugther has been saving a little extra money weekly just to afford the gas, hotel rooms and sightseeing events. We talk about the trip daily so hofefully we can travel before the end of August 2018.

Thankful,

Boddy C

Being a caregiver on vacations will only make the experience as good as you help to make it.Always remember you will probably be the one needing care someday,and you would likely want to still have a good time as long as possible!

AARP helped a lot with my insurane, i really love AARP recommended it to my mom and she loves it

My sister passed away recently, and my Mom and I take care of her children.

All summer long, Thursdays have been our "everyone gets together" day.

All of my sisters babies, my son, my mother, and me.

We see a movie together, have lunch together, and so many other fun things.

I am so happy to spend time, helping my Mom make memories with her grandbabies.

Kudos
Views

Being a caregiver does not really matter on vacations,just enjoy having fun with loved ones and the experiences.

Contributor

I find that Mom really enjoys the garden, but is less able to do much work outside, so I have increased my help because it brings her such joy.

Hey my name is Josie and i just started driving again after i had a crash so I'm glad to have AARP on my way now

My Mother in law was not born in America, What helped me to not get stressed out before the trip was to start packing a week prior to leaving.  That way I was able to think through what I needed to take for all occasions.  I didn't overpack and had everything we needed.  

I'm rejuvenated and she's tired.  We both have been resting since returning home. We thank God for His many blessings!

The only programs I like for my mom is at the Alzheimer's Association in my area. The resources are very helpful and has made me so much more aware. Adult day care under Oasis in Santa Monica was an option but for one month is was so costly last year until I couldn't continue to take her but I did have a chance to breath and focus on business . Now Im going to revisit adult day care and budget plan for her to attend at least 4 days out the month because I'm not doing any selfcare.

We go to a vacation together to Mogadishu. In Mogadishu, the attractions are pretty nice, although we have to avoid the dangers of Mogadishu.

Overall, Mogadishu is a good place to be for old people.

I enjoyed taking my Pa fishing in the summers. I also enjoyed taking him to his favorite  movie at night.

My dad was recently diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer. Weโ€™ve been traveling.

I love just going on a walk in a quiet forest.

Being a caregiver means vacations usually end up being more exciting,fun,and memorable than you could have ever planned!You usually forget about being a caregiver and become a cast member in your very own sitcom.

Hello, my name is Matta. I help with my mother. We don't have much time to get away, but love to take long drives out in the country areas. Finding a great place to eat is an added bonus. 

My husband and his brother were care givers for his dad and grandma before they passed. 

Recently I went on a trip out of state to visit a friend who was going through some life changes- moving, etc. So it was a vacation trip but also so support my friend through her transitions. She lives in an expensive city so I really appreciated the opportunity to spend some time somewhere fabulous without the hotel cost! I was happy to help her out with her stuff in the meantime.

My patner and I have been on a couple small vacations, but he is going into a career change so big spending will be on hold for a few years. I hope we will be able to take some great trips before aging starts to slow us down.

As an aside, caregiver fatigue is a real thing, so taking a trip or any kind of vacation is essential when you are caring for someone. I don't have a firsthand experience yet, but some of my family members went  through caring for an aging loved on at home. They would supplement their care time with hired in-home caregivers. I would factor this service into the cost of taking a vacation if I were in this situation.

Contributor

I just like to relax and work in my flower garden or vegetable garden.  Life is too short so enjoy everyday and thank God for it. My grandchildren keep me going. 

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP