From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Message 1021 of 1,088

Hi my name is Hailey, i take care of my mother right now, her name is jerry. She has gotten really sick from old age. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 1022 of 1,088

The best way the best way to track take break is to get outside. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 1023 of 1,088

My name is Megan.  A quick break we enjoy is spending time outdoors, listening to the birds, admiring the flowers and plants, enjoying nature.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 1024 of 1,088

Great story!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 1025 of 1,088

We took both my parents on the cruise of a lifetime to Alaska. I loved seeing how their faces lit up everytime someone walked by and acknowledged them. Their smiles were infectious and they made a lot of new friends on the cruise. It was a memory all of us will cherish for a lifetime!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 1026 of 1,088

In order to help protect your parent(s) from thieves who prey on the elderly, it is necessary to arm them with the right tools.  There are many products on the market that will help protect their money and documents better than a traditional wallet or purse including the Passage Wallet (which hangs by a neck cord under clothing), money belts and hidden wallets that can be secured and worn inside of pants.  Give them a more comfortable trip by bringing them a travel pillow and blanket.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest, The love of my life, my husband.

Message 1027 of 1,088

Hi Jane,

You are right, I have attempted all those resources and more. My husband does get a disability check every month. However, it is not enough for one person to live on. We can't pay rent and our utilities bills. I am constantly robbing Peter to pay Paul. I fell way behind on our credit card bills and now our vehicle is junked. It isn't who we are. We never lived liked this. It has forced us to be two people, who we are not. We are prisoners in our own home. It is like I am living in someone else;s body, looking in and watching the suffering everyday. We used to have it all. Nice car, money, bills paid on time, we went to Myrtle Beach for a week once a year, and we had a nice home. He had a great job. He hates not working, but he can't. He will die, if he works. His self-esteem is in the ground because he can not provide for his family. It is not his fault. I have health issues myself. I suffer from 3-5 migraines a week and I have Chrohn's disease. My husband is very fortunate not to have diabetes. His disease is a rare and genetic one.I can hardly take care of myself, but I do and I take care of him too, with pursurverence and hope, faith, and strength. 

We don't know when this suffering will end for us or what will even happen. We know that we can never give up and won't as long as we have each other. It is nice to know that I have a resource (this site) to share my thoughts and feelings. It is good to know that we are not alone. I don'y have the answers. I wish that I did. We need help. Everyone in our familys have turned their backs on us. The bottom line is that they do not care about us and they do not love us. If they did, they would be here  for us. That is ok because I have come to terms with that reality. We cannot think about that. We have to survive. That is all that we are attempting to do.

Thank you for your brainstorming. If you come up with anything, please let me know. It is a little more difficult to find help because of our ages. I have even tried to look for some work at home jobs, but most of them are scams. I need answers for use before we become homeless and just another number.

Kind Regards,

Sue

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 1028 of 1,088

I am amazed at how many resources aarp has. I have been takeing care of my sick mother and they have so many things i can turn to resources wise.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 1029 of 1,088

What a kind and caring person you are. I need to look into resources like these. Thank you for the suggestions.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 1030 of 1,088

It started in 2003 when I put my life on hold to take care of my mother.

I didn't think in a million years that my life will change drastically. But hey!! You only get one mother right? Gorgeous Gwen (nickname) usually bounced back from her health issues, but since 2012 it’s been a long journey (diabetes, kidney cancer, major back surgery, kidney removal, gall bladder removal, left leg amputation, right foot toe amputation). It just seems when you knock one out the way here comes another one.

Now in 2018 mommy is bedridden and in and out the hospital. I have two beautiful children (daughter, son) who I still have to be a mother to as well. To be honest they keep me sane. As caregivers we have no choice.

From football games, cheer games, doctor visits, hospital visits, medicine intake, homework, parent-teacher meetings, working, and etc. etc. it’s hard on me. It’s only me and it’s breaking me down mentally.

People really show there true colors when you're going through it as well. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season