Learn how to use Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing services!  Register now for a free AARP webinar Nov. 18.

AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: A question for dementia caregivers

Message 1 of 3

@AmandaSingleton wrote:

Is there anything you wish your care partner had done to prepare themselves and you, as the caregiver, for their time with dementia?  What could have gone differently or made life easier as their symptoms progressed? 

Thank you all for your insight and input! 

Amanda

Well, at the moment, I'm not a caregiver, but i have been a few times and i'm sure i will be again. And there's one thing i want to make VERY clear to my future caregivers: I do not want a feeding tube, thank you very much. Nosireee. If i can't swallow safely on my own, i want a speech therapist to inform all of us of what is safe, and let's do that so i can drink or eat or have thickener by mouth. and once that doesn't work, that's it. no more food for me. Keep me comfortable, wet my mouth with those toothette things, and let me get skinny one last time. (It's been ages since i even had a WAIST.)  Hospice time.  B'bye. It's been lovely. Let me die.  Thanks ever so much. Good job!! Many thanks!!! Make sure Clara gets my journals, and Jonah gets my DVD: they can split the yarn.

Jane

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: A question for dementia caregivers

Message 2 of 3

This may not be what you wanted but is a good discussion topic -

They (the caregiver and/or those with power over health) should understand the complete wishes of the patient - not just those with dementia.

They should do everything in their power, including fighting any legal battles, to adhere to these wishes - no ifs, ands, or buts.

KHN 08/17/2017 - Despite Advance Directive, Dementia Patient Denied Last Wish, Says Spouse

KHN 10/12/2017 - Dementia Patient At Center of Spoon-Feeding Controversy Dies

The "Right to Choose" in this respect is paramount.  Laws in EVERY state should be changed to adhere to these wishes - legally documented when a person is of sound mind.

Even our "Right To Die" state laws are missing this important advanced planning. 

When my QUALITY of life as I see it is over - why should anybody else make this decision for me.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views
Replies

A question for dementia caregivers

Message 3 of 3

Is there anything you wish your care partner had done to prepare themselves and you, as the caregiver, for their time with dementia?  What could have gone differently or made life easier as their symptoms progressed? 

Thank you all for your insight and input! 

Amanda

Amanda Singleton
All posts are intended to convey general information only and not to provide legal advice or opinions. The posting and viewing of the information in this community should not be construed as, and should not be relied upon for, legal or tax advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation. The information presented may not reflect the most current legal developments. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues. Nothing written in this community is intended to create an attorney‑client relationship. An attorney-client relationship may only be established through direct attorney‑to‑client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement.
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors