Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

A grandparent raising grandchildren

hi my name is Tammy and I am a full time grandma adopted five of my grandchildren in 2012 and became. Guardian to sixth grandchild in 2013.. Three girls ages 16,8, and 4 yrs.. Three boys ages 12, 11, and 9 yrs. As the children get older so do I ( and hubby of course) new challenges present themselves every day.. So as a grandparent raising. Children again looking for other grandparent who may find themselves in the same position. Because lets face it even though in today's society it may be found to be the new normal yet many of us were not prepared for this new role society added. So if any grandparents can add their ideas, support ECT.. That's why I am joining.. Thank you..

AARP Expert

@TammyJ523535wrote:

hi my name is Tammy and I am a full time grandma adopted five of my grandchildren in 2012 and became. Guardian to sixth grandchild in 2013.. Three girls ages 16,8, and 4 yrs.. Three boys ages 12, 11, and 9 yrs. As the children get older so do I ( and hubby of course) new challenges present themselves every day.. So as a grandparent raising. Children again looking for other grandparent who may find themselves in the same position. Because lets face it even though in today's society it may be found to be the new normal yet many of us were not prepared for this new role society added. So if any grandparents can add their ideas, support ECT.. That's why I am joining.. Thank you..

Hi Tammy!  

I hope you can find a community of grandparents raising grandkids here and elsewhere. I did a little bit of searching on the aarp.org site and found this article which is years old but i bet it's still true: https://blog.aarp.org/2012/06/01/amy-goyer-grandfamilies-go-hungry/    I hope you and your large brood are doing okay, food wise and in every other way. It is a huge commitment you've made and they are lucky kids. 

Is there a particular question you have right now to kind of get the ball rolling? I am not raising grandkids, don't have any yet, although my partner has 3 of them; thankfully they are almost grown. i hope the Child Welfare workers you had to deal with had some suggestions for you. Usually they are so tired and stressed that its hard to get advice about support. I work with Child Welfare in my rural county and the reason the kids are in care is due mostly to methamphetamine. Anyway, i hope you have support in real life. 

Here's another article: https://blog.aarp.org/2013/08/30/grandmas-raising-grandkids-struggle-with-depression/

Thank you for writing. I hope there are more responses. Please write some more if you can find a free moment!

Jane

Contributor

Hello Tammy, nice to meet you. You have your hands full. My name is Terry. I too am a grandma raising my granddaughter who is 3 1/2 yrs old on my own. Currently working on adopting her. So far I haven't found much support for grandparents raising grandchildren. Although I just found a Facebook page here, https://www.facebook.com/Grandparents-Raising-Grandchildren-159724844105830/?ref=br_rs today. My next challenage is to find/join a local support group in my area. This is my Princess!Miss KylaMiss Kyla

AARP Expert

Hi Terry! Your granddaughter is a cutie patootie! What are the blessings you're experiences? What are the hardest parts? Please write more.

Jane

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi! There is a grandparents/kinship support group, that meets at the Avondale YMCA on the first Tuesday of the month.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Support group meets at 11:oo am

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP