Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Retired Community Manager

Contributor

Get my son and Daughter a new family car for my first upcoming grandchild and start a college fund as the furture of America looks very spendy.

0 Kudos

get a vehicle & apt
0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay off bills and buy a new house for my family
0 Kudos
Contributor

What I would do is pay some bills, buy new living and bedroom furniture. Buy new clothes, get a desk top computer to start a Home-Based job to work a part time job at home, and take a much needed vacation. Cheri
0 Kudos

I'd pay off the car, then invest the rest. We don't have much saved.
0 Kudos

Pay off some of equity loan and get new glasses.
0 Kudos

I would be able to replace income from my deceased wife's pension which was not granted to me on a technicality, along with begin to plan retirement needs since I am not a "good" candidate for an education professional (downsized 5 mos. following my wife's death in 2012) since no one has a desire to hire a 58 soon to be 59 yr. old up to date male elementary teacher with 12 years of solid experience in teaching gradesK- 12 +college tutoring. Ihave 2 teenaged sons,1 developmentally disabled and would desire to give them the vacations, etc. they deserve.
I would also like to install an efficient a/c system in my home as well.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Invest wisely

Upcoming medical bills

Desperate needed home improvements

0 Kudos
Contributor

A wing fall of money, would help remodel my kitchen and bathroom, give money to my eight (8) children and nine (9) grandchildren. Be able to help my daugther (Jamilah) pay for her weddng in 2015 of May. My daugther Raja who lives in Florida to come to my son (Ali Salaam) to his wedding in Sept. 20th of this year. My daugther Karima and son Sir, I would love to get her in her own house and buy a new car. Umar and Muhammad a new car...down payment.  Son (Rasu), give him money to do what ever. Muneer, money to start a business and be his own boss, in the construction business. My husband and I to go on a two (2) week vacation.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Specify  " windfall"!!   50,100,1000, millions?

I get excited when I find a twenty that was hidden in my bag or in a pocket.

Every party needs a pooper, that's why they invited me, party pooper , party pooper.......

KathCat Wink

0 Kudos
Contributor

the 1st thing i would do is tithe to the church, then get our bills payed off,then a log cabin

0 Kudos
Contributor

Depending on the amount, I would pay off my sisters' mortgage since they live on a real tight budget and this would allow them to do stuff. Then I would give the Church money since they do a lot of outreach to the community and always need money. I wouldn't keep any for myself, since extra money always seems to bring along with it extra problems.
0 Kudos
Contributor

With a sudden windfall of money,... I would pay off my home and take a very needed vacation with my kids and if there's money left repair my car ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

This is a question that we (friends & family) have discussed many times. When my mother passed away, she left my brother and I a nice little inheritance. Not huge, but it surely helped and still does. It was in the form of CD IRAs. So I left them alone and rolled them over when they expired. Then my husband lost his job and now some of that money has come in handy. 

But if I ever really came into a windfall, WOW! That would be a whole different story. I'd get a house built to my specs on land I would buy. I'm short and almost everything is out of my reach. I'd make sure my family was well taken care of, especially my son, then my brother, and so on. Then I would donate to various charities and to the local University. I'm a huge fan of their basketball team & program. The rest would be saved in the most interest-bearing accounts. Of course there would be the usual purchases, new cars, furniture, etc. And maybe some traveling. 

0 Kudos

I would give my husband half Then I would pay off some credit card debt. Put on an new roof and add a deck/garage/storage area to the house. Invest for the future.

0 Kudos
Contributor

say a prayer of thanks to the Lord ,see a financial advisor, set up trust funds, take care of family finances, give a good tithe to our church, help the kids pay off student loans, and maybe evens convince myself to take a well deserved vacation
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Put in savings and Think about it!!
0 Kudos
Contributor

see a financial advisor, set up a family base trust fund, donate to my church -
0 Kudos
Contributor

Help with my upcoming medical bills, and water heater installation.

0 Kudos

I'll start up businesses so people's can have jobs .Help alot of people that can help there self. GIVE MY COMMUNITY A BIG LIFT. THEN MY FAMILY AN I GO ON A GREAT VACTION.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I would treat my husband and I to a nice trip somewhere and put the rest in my retirement account at work.

0 Kudos

I would increase my emergency fund and invest the rest of it.
0 Kudos

Since my car wil be 23 years old and every year I have to spend money to keep it running, right now I need a new A/C unit and it is pretty hot and humid in Houston, so part of the money will go for another car. I also may help my granddaughter who will be a senior at TCU this fall.

Lastly, but very important is a little vacation for my wife and me, haven't had one in 25+ years, been married for 58 years and hopefully many more.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Split it in half and put one part into savings or bonds.  The other half to pay off home.

0 Kudos
Contributor

What I would do with a sudden windfall of money? Buy a new mattress and bed room furniture, have our house painted, and re-roof the dinning room part of our house.

0 Kudos

Buy a new portable wheelchair and bath chair for my daughter, pay off my student loans, have home repairs done, and purchase a minivan with a lift.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Well depending on the amount, first pay off my house, then help my family and friends whom need it, then who knows from there, if anything left over, help out the needy

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would try to find a better plae to live, where I'll be more confortable and secure. Get a car, maybe not a new one, but a newer one. Eat better food and see the doctor and dentist regularly. And if I have enough, I would help my sister. Thank you.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay off debts and travel extensively

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would secure my future for 2 more yrs. Only work part time and money is very very tight. Lost my full time job 4 yrs ago and haven't been able to get another full time job. Sad but all true.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP