Rethink your job search with the AARP job board. Find opportunities for experienced workers today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Message 731 of 737

I would pay off my house and fix it. I would pay off my debt and bank a large portion. I would tithe to my church. I would give my grand children, daughters and great grand babies enough to help them get their lives straightened out without worrying. Finally, I would buy a car.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 732 of 737

First I want to say that I liked the reply that said he wants to get his girlfriend over to the U.S. but was having a hard time saving the money. I know the problems of low money/income very very well. Has for his problem getting to shows to sell the things he has made I want to ask if he has thought about selling online? There are several websites that he might be able to use. Just do a serch for selling art online.

As for what I would do. first I would get the wheels rolling on getting into a home with a little bit of extra room around it. I now live in a apartment and I really do not need to be so close to whoever is living nextdoor. I would get the home set up so if I ever need to use a walker or wheelchair (I am not getting any younger) I could do so without haveing to "make do". I would help friends payoff their homes. And I would find charitys for people and animals where a very large percent of what you give goes to those, people or animals who need it. Not into the pockets of those you gave the money to. I would also share it with the person who sold me the winning ticket. I would also look for people, such as the man wanting to sell his art and give help to them. Of course I would look for ways to safely invest a big percent so that I would not run out no mater how long I live.

Take care all!

John C

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 733 of 737

Support Yeman and other desperat e refugees, Doctors without Borders, save Tibet, fund Greater Good's Program matching shelter dogs to Vets, Single Payer Healthcare for all Americans, donate to fight Trump's Wall, fight fracking, oppose deforestation of the Amazon Rain Forest, supply reusable shopping in tradeoff for stores' use of plastic bags, community gardens in inner city empty lots. Ban GMO's for food use. Not allow bar codes to bury food ingredient lists. Reduce mandatory prison sentences for recreational or medical marijuana   use. Get rid of Private Prisons.outlaw gerrymandering that results in unfair voter restrictions.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 734 of 737

If I had a sudden windfall of money I'd first pay the taxes that the government would take.  Then I'd invest the rest in a tax-free fund, and would have the monthy dividend (tax free again) sent to me and put into a special account that I'd set up just for this money.  Of course, I'd use it for myself and my family when the need arose.  With the extra, and I'm sure there would be plenty, here's what I'd do. 

Whenever I heard of a person in my area who had really bad luck (house burned down, flooded, horrible health problem that needed immediate medical attention and that person didn't have enough insurance to afford it, older adult, adult, or child with special needs, etc.) I'd pretend that I was Michael Anthony in The Millionaire.  I'd anonymously give that person the money to take care of that legitimate need - the new house, surgery, prosthetic, or whatever was needed. 

In addition, occasionally I'd take some of the money and have a special treat delivered to a local nursing home or senior center. 

In instructions for the executor of my estates, I'd specify that my executor was to keep than account open and he was to continue as my "Millionaire" substitute. Since the money in the account would be just interest, the original investment would continue on indefinitely, and hopefully lots of people of all ages would benefit through the years.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 735 of 737

I would buy ten acres of land and build a dog sanctuary.  I would take in every dog from kill shelters, the abused, neglected, and abandoned ones and bring them to my sanctuary to live a life full of love, food and attention.  It's a dream I hope comes true.  It would be like heaven on earth for all these dogs before they leave this earth.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 736 of 737

Hopefully it would be enough. I would build an animal shelter. We'd have out own vet there. We would do adoptions & have an area for animals that are too old, or disabled to be adopted. They could live there. We would offer low cost neuter/spay services. Maybe area vets would volunteer once a month to do these at our place. Well, I can dream can't I?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 737 of 737

My sudden winfall would pay off all my debt.  Since being 65 I have had a Storm hit my house which cost me personally over 30K and I have been hit with plumbing prblems then with being taken for 16K through a scam on a dating site.  So, I would use this windfall to clear all this mess up.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 738 of 737

@gerriekay01 wrote:

My sudden winfall would pay off all my debt.  Since being 65 I have had a Storm hit my house which cost me personally over 30K and I have been hit with plumbing prblems then with being taken for 16K through a scam on a dating site.  So, I would use this windfall to clear all this mess up.

Since s sudden windfall is probably not going to happen I wish you the best in getting your finances straightened out. You should probably seek assistance with credit counseling and stay away from those dating sites.  You might find some local senior ladies at the senior center.  Best of luck!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 739 of 737
I would help some one that has less than I , and was in need. Then I would buy food for those that are in need by giving to the senior center to help seniors that are in need of food or help pay a bill. The Lord has blessed me to have what I need,.giving is a blessing to me from my Lord:
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 740 of 737

Seek and secure the services of the best-recommended financial advisors.  Interview each one to find the one most knowledgeable and helpful.  

Sit around in a stupor for however long it takes.  Find the most effective way to pay down debt without incurring unnecessary tax liens or debts.

Kudos
Views