Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Retired Community Manager

Help daughter/grandchild  save some paymed bills

0 Kudos
Contributor

Set up a modest Trust Fund for each of my grandchildren and give the rest to charity

Contributor

Pay off debt and travel

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay off my bills and put the rest in the bank for my retirement.
0 Kudos

Aloha...Being a caregiver. .children doing very well...I believe I would buy a car and a House to make into a Bed and Breakfast..and invite friends and family to come visit and share this Big Island for fun and relaxation. .Health retreat....Enjoy life......
0 Kudos

Since my husband recently passed away ...I would pay off the mortgage , help my kids with their bills, savings ACCTS for g-kids..and maybe a trip to Hawaii that my husband and I were planning before he passed....the rest to help people who need it....
0 Kudos
Contributor

After paying taxes, this will leave around $37,000 of a windfall. What would I do with this money?

Well, this will pay for almost 2 more years of our daughter's college bill at a state university, and save us from taking out a Parents Plus Loan at only 6% - 8% interest. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would thank the Lord first and donate more to the church for the community 's welfare. Pay off my debts and help my children with their debts.
Contributor

I admire all the selfless replies but as I already give much to my favorite charities - 2nd Harvest Food Bank, Silicon Valley Humane Society and Children's Hospital at Stanford - I would love to have a small RV to camp out with my two dogs.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Complex, but, easy answer is: start my life over, at 51 years of age. In 2006 I received a small award from a chronically disabling auto accident, I was a passenger in car hit by a drunk, my spine permanently injured. With economy as it was looking like was coming, I thought banks would crash, I invested in gemstones, tools, and jewelry making supplies but, the injury leaves me unable really to do craft shows, I need my own small Retail shop, attached to a home. I have been working with what I have, creating 300 pieces of jewelry including Earrings, Pendants, and Rings, I have a small but beautiful inventory, and stones enough for a lifetime (rest of anyway) jewelry making. Further, I have a girlfriend overseas and we desperately want to marry but, the enormous costs involved, we just can't now. Toward these goals I have been saving but, it's hard on $741 a month disability, I can save maybe $100 a month by eating as cheaply as possible cooking a lot of rice and beans.... So this would change my life and give me an entirely new life, and a beautiful wife, to help me with these goals we share. Whomever wins, I hope they appreciate as much as I would, this blessing, best of luck to you all. Thank you for this opportunity to share. May the blessings be.

I would give to my church family give to my family pay off all my debts start funds for my grandchildren college. Live a little....
0 Kudos
Contributor

Build a pool and complete a room addition. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hopefully it would be enough. I would build an animal shelter. We'd have out own vet there. We would do adoptions & have an area for animals that are too old, or disabled to be adopted. They could live there. We would offer low cost neuter/spay services. Maybe area vets would volunteer once a month to do these at our place. Well, I can dream can't I?

First I want to say that I liked the reply that said he wants to get his girlfriend over to the U.S. but was having a hard time saving the money. I know the problems of low money/income very very well. Has for his problem getting to shows to sell the things he has made I want to ask if he has thought about selling online? There are several websites that he might be able to use. Just do a serch for selling art online.

As for what I would do. first I would get the wheels rolling on getting into a home with a little bit of extra room around it. I now live in a apartment and I really do not need to be so close to whoever is living nextdoor. I would get the home set up so if I ever need to use a walker or wheelchair (I am not getting any younger) I could do so without haveing to "make do". I would help friends payoff their homes. And I would find charitys for people and animals where a very large percent of what you give goes to those, people or animals who need it. Not into the pockets of those you gave the money to. I would also share it with the person who sold me the winning ticket. I would also look for people, such as the man wanting to sell his art and give help to them. Of course I would look for ways to safely invest a big percent so that I would not run out no mater how long I live.

Take care all!

John C

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

1. Set up a trust to pay college costs for grand nieces and nephews. 2. Pay off mortgage.  3. Make a large contribution to local Head Start organization. 4. Buy small vacation home in San Miguel de Allende. 5. Travel - and travel some more.

I will pay off my daughter and son student loans,donate to my church and also to my favorite charities and what's left I will take a vacation with my kids and probably retire depends on how much I get
0 Kudos

I would use the windfall of money to buy a house. At 51 my 18 year marriage is ending. I can believe the cost of realestate these days.
0 Kudos

I would fund my start-up company which is building an entire eco-system around serving the elderly!
0 Kudos

Pay some bills and help our mens mission and the churches food. Pantry
0 Kudos
Contributor

Donate much of it to my favorite chaities.

@AARPLynne wrote:

0 Kudos

Help some people I know who really needs help & pay off my debt.
Contributor

Take my disabled daughter on a nice trip and buy her new clothes and get her hair done
0 Kudos

I would buy my a house tired of renting just want a place of my own.

0 Kudos

Update our current home to sell as we retire
0 Kudos

PAT BLACKWELL IN GREER,S. WOULD BUY ME A NICE,SMALL HOME AND A BRAND NEW CAR AND PAY OFF ALL MY BILLS.IM 67 AND WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO ENJOY THE REST OF MY LIFE WITH NO DEBT.

0 Kudos

Frist i would buy a home and car,since i have lost every thing.then i would find homes to turn into homes for.the forgotten vets,the us has turned their backs on,thank fully,my kind neice took me in,and made me feel welcome
Contributor

I would pay off all my bills so that I would have minimal monthly payments. This way I could afford to accept a lesser paid position, it has been a challenge since I was laid off in February from a high paying position. The only way for me to make a better living is to move and I cannot move until I sell my home. Vicious cycle unfortunately! Thanks for all that you do!
0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay off  all debt, buy a house in Belize, open my dream coffee shop and enjoy life.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would help most family members with their failing health conditions by finding better doctors, buy them better homes because they are all WAY below poverty standards, and I would donate to animal shelters. If there was anything left I'd take a vacation somewhere sunny for two weeks.

0 Kudos

Have me a family cruise with all my family! Or just Have a big cookout at a Mansion for a weekend. Save the rest for my latter years of Life. Will also donate to fix up our church.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP