Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Retired Community Manager

We have struggled with money in the past, even though I was never behind on a bill. We will be coming into some money soon, don't know how much, but we are already set. We always budget and our bills will be paid by Nov 1. or sooner. After that, because we are retired we'll open an acct for retirement. We can now live within our means. No mortgage, no car pays, no student loans. Both of our daughters have student loans and cars, and we will more than likely help them. To me, what is called tithing is called PAY IT FORWARD. We were the victims of a bank that stole our money to pay illegals bills and bad mortgages. Now, we will give to those who helped get this for us, and choose our charities wisely. This isn't windfall, it's actually retro pay.

0 Kudos
Contributor

First, make a charitable contribution of 10% to my synagogue; then pay off all unsecured debt. Then put money in an account so that I can take time to decide if I want to sell my current house and buy another one in a more convenient location. I would be able to travel to see my parents more often. And could actually indulge in some foreign travel. All this, of course, depends upon the size of the "windfall". 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would like for you to leave your money to the non profit Ride for the warrior our organization is a veteran helping veterans and we are helping the pinal county veterans momoral foundation we are on the web..god bless..
0 Kudos
Contributor

First, I would pay my son's tuition to go back to school and get a degree. I would pay the medical bills that have mounted up from my disability, and I think I would finally move to some ocean town and continue with my writing. The only thing that would keep me from doing that is that I wouldn't know anybody wherever I ended up. I wish I had more courage.

0 Kudos

With the sudden windfall of Money, I would proritize on payin my debts, and then next wuold be investing my money on business.

0 Kudos

I lost my husband a yr ago and I have only one income now. We Had no money saved because of his long illness before he Passed.So I would use the money to get out of debt and I would find me a nice house and furnish it with new furniture. I would help my kids,give to my church and set aside some. Money for living expense so I wouldn't have to worry about how I am going to Make ends meet. That would be a true blessing to not be stressed over bills and where to live in comfort.

Well since my home is already paid off, I have no kids, and my employment pay is currently considered to be below fair market. I would just buy a newer car, and save the rest for rainy days.

0 Kudos

Probably buy a newer truck and trailer for travel. Lots of places in the USA I would like to see.

Contributor

I would pay off our mortgage and give some to my church, if any is left help out family members and purchase a small motorhome and go traveling around the US.

0 Kudos

first i would get out of debt,then i would help my family

Pay off all our debts including mortgage and my children's student loans...then I would finally have a good sound sleep!
Contributor

I would buy my own home. I haven't owned a home. I am tired of renting. I would finally be able to have my own. I have four children through college. I have taught school over 36 years. It would be a dream come true!

been marry 32 years would go on first time honeymoon. and pay off all our debt

My first thoughts are that the house needs updating as does my business. Then there are the children, already burdened with student loans. . Deeper is the belief that everything that comes to me is given to extend, to share, to allow the flow of energy, love and prosperity.  I trust that flow.

I trust the giving and I enjoy the receiving.  It makes us all  more fully alive.

Contributor

Pay-off some minimal debt and invest the balance.

0 Kudos

buy a  car,move,visit familywho i haven't seen in ten years,invest.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I would start a couple of business and help out my favorite charities.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay bills and move from my teeny tiny apartment!
0 Kudos

My husband and I are each driving cars that, while mechanically well maintained, are VERY VERY ELDERLY, and part of the required running of said vehicles is holding your breath each and every day that they will continue to be reliable transportation to and from work.

So, I'd say we split the $$$ and each get a newer vehicle, and breathe more normally.

0 Kudos

I would invest as I am retired and live on social security and live alone.
0 Kudos

A windfall of money would be a great blessing I have worked all my life and now I'm disabled. But I would pay off my debts. Then I would help my family and friends with there financial problems the best I could. Invest some so there would be some for grandchildren future when I die. Nothing much right!!!
0 Kudos
Contributor

Finish paying my hospital bills, and pay down mortgage, renovate kitchen, and pantry.

0 Kudos

Our youngest daughter just graduated from MSU and has over $25,000 in school loans. I would pay off her loans, as I have been unemployed since 2012 and it is getting increasingly more difficult to make the payments.
0 Kudos

I am still working full time at 68. Were I to win a sum of money, I would use it to pay off the credit balances and student loans I incurred to send my 3 daughters to college. Then, if there was anything left, I would use it for needed repairs on the house.  If these things were paid, I could retire sooner - perhaps at 69 or 70. 

0 Kudos

First I would add to my retirement and Roth accounts. Second, pay off my medical bills and student loan and make some much needed home repairs. Finally, take a dream European cruise.
0 Kudos

Retire my husband so we could travel together to all the AARP conventions and have more time to volunteer together  for AARP.

0 Kudos

I would pay off my debt! Prepare a place in my home for my mother to live comfortably. Donate funds to my fiance' to him help get his camp renovated so the innercity children can visit and expereince the beautiful Pocono Mountains. I would assist young adults who have age out of fostercare and still need guidance, a place to live and care.

Venetta

Bartonsville, PA.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Help my children pay student loans then do what ever I felt like doing:-)

0 Kudos

Pay off my kids houses.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Share it with my kids, so that they might pay off their school loans.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP